• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Amino acid question

Here's a question I been wondering about lately.

I think the question came to exist from reading various sites but the facts are varying.

Main Question:

Is it true to say that ones amino acid metabolism or total efficiency is only as effective as your lowest "one"?

This is really important for me to know, is there real facts that strengthens this theory, anyone on this forum that has a lot of experience with this and can explain easily.

Obviously some amino acids are more important than others and having a deficiency in one or others all give different symptoms.

I have one that was in the grey zone (low) and I assume it still is, but the big question is what is causing it but that is for another thread. If anyone is interested to know which one it is, I'll be glad to post it though.

PeterPositive

Hi,
the lack of one amino acid can restrict the protein formation. If you're running low on leucine and have plenty of the other aminos they will partially go to waste because when you run out of leucine the protein formation is hindered.

Not all amino acids cause these issues, that's why they are classified in "essential", "conditionally essential" and "dispensable"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Essential_amino_acid

cheers