• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

American Scientist: Interview with Julie Rehmeyer

AndyPR

In 2006, science journalist and mathematician Julie Rehmeyer was diagnosed with myalgic encephalomyelitis, or chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS). Among her symptoms were bouts of partial paralysis that frequently rendered her unable to walk. As her condition worsened, she learned everything she could about the disease—including how little relief the medical community could offer her. She tells of her experience with ME/CFS in a memoir due out in May: Through the Shadowlands: A Science Writer’s Odyssey into an Illness Science Doesn’t Understand. The following is an excerpt of our conversation about her book and ME/CFS more generally.
http://www.americanscientist.org/bookshelf/pub/an-illness-observed

It's also possible to comment on this, which is always a good way to encourage editors to cover the subject matter again. It could be as simple as an expression of thanks for covering ME (including PACE) or it could be details on how ME has affected you.

Personally I liked this bit in particular :ninja:
So your views about the patient communities changed after you became more directly engaged with them?

Eventually, I concluded that patients possess more wisdom and expertise about this disease than anyone else. Admittedly, you’ll hear people in patient communities saying all sorts of implausible things. And my initial objection, that many patients have little understanding of how science works, is also true (although the same holds for the general public, of course); yet there are trained scientists in the patient community as well. Regardless, patients are the ones confronted with the reality of their illnesses, day in and day out, and they’re highly motivated to figure out what will help. They’re sharing the results of their personal experiments online, and they’re finding strategies that make a difference.

I think of patient communities as being a bit like bands of guerrilla fighters. They don’t have the organization or resources that armies of scientists have, but they know the terrain of the illness far more intimately. They can move quickly to explore a new idea, whereas it takes years for scientists to get their grants and perform their experiments and write and publish them. And sometimes, it’s the guerrilla fighters who win. Patients and scientists, of course, are (or at least should be) on the same side, fighting the illness. They need to work together, understanding and valuing the particular strengths their partners bring to the struggle.

Snowdrop

Rebel without a biscuit
Responding to part of the quote from Julie:

It's also true that over time some of us who have no science background learn to appreciate science more and come to a better understanding that this disease is not 'fixed' by the latest hot fad. I think many of us have become a little more discerning as to the demarcation between science and pseudo-science.

If I had the energy (meaning I was well) I would lobby my Federal government to work with provinces to help schools improve science curricula to a much higher standard.

I understand the urge to find an explanation for what is happening in my body. I'm just a lot more sceptical than I used to be that the answer is quite as simple as it might seem from popular science.

I'm really grateful for this article.

Edit: more clarity/typo

Last edited: