• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Ambroxol

Nice. The paper looks great. Not in my best now and english isnt´t my mother tongue, so, the sooner i could read it, i would give my impressions about it.

Thank u mate!!

pattismith

"Ambroxol is a secretolytic substance, but may also potentially influence several pathophysiological mechanisms involved in fibromyalgia. First, ambroxol interferes with oxidative stress and influences cytokines and inflammation.32,33 Second, ambroxol blocks sodium channels,34 especially the tetrodotoxin-resistant (TTX-r) channel subtype Nav1.8,3436 which is expressed particularly in spinal ganglion cells37 and in nociceptive, sensory neurons.3740 This should limit central sensitization in chronic widespread muscle pain,41 which clearly also occurs in FMS.42 Based on these effects, ambroxol may be an interesting treatment approach for FMS, even if detailed examinations concerning these single mechanisms remain to be performed and an influence of ambroxol on inhibitory descending pain pathways, important in FMS, has not yet been examined. The present paper outlines the scientific argument for the treatment of fibromyalgia using ambroxol by looking at many different aspects of this complex disease and summarizes putative modes of action (Tables 113, Figure 4)."

Thank you for posting this, I started my trial yesterday:thumbsup:

pattismith

This paper followed the publication of this study:

Clin Rheumatol. 2017 Aug Epub 2017 May 2.
Ambroxol for fibromyalgia: one group pretest-posttest open-label pilot study.
Martínez-Martínez LA1, Pérez LF1, Becerril-Mendoza LT2, Rodríguez-Henriquez P3, Muñoz OE4, Acosta G1, Silveira LH1, Vargas A1, Barrera-Villalpando MI5, Martínez-Lavín M6.

Abstract
A consistent line of investigation proposes that fibromyalgia is a sympathetically maintained neuropathic pain syndrome.

Dorsal root ganglia sodium channels may play a major role in fibromyalgia pain transmission.

Ambroxol is a secretolytic agent used in the treatment of various airway disorders.

Recently, it was discovered that this compound is also an efficient sodium channel blocker with potent anti-neuropathic pain properties.

We evaluated the add-on effect of ambroxol to the treatment of fibromyalgia. We studied 25 patients with fibromyalgia. Ambroxol was prescribed at the usual clinical dose of 30 mg PO 3 times a day × 1 month.

At the beginning and at the end of the study, all participants filled out the Revised Fibromyalgia Impact Questionnaire (FIQ-R) and the 2010 ACR diagnostic criteria including the widespread pain index (WPI).
At the end of the study, FIQ-R decreased from a baseline value of 62 ± 15 to 51 ± 19 (p = 0.013). Pain visual analogue scale decreased from 77 ± 14 to 56 ± 30 (p = 0.018). WPI diminished from 14.6 ± 3.1 to 10.4 ± 5.3 (p = 0.001).
Side effects were minor. In this pilot study, the use of ambroxol was associated to decreased fibromyalgia pain and improved fibromyalgia symptoms. The open nature of our study does not allow extracting the placebo effect from the positive results. The drug was well tolerated. Ambroxol newly recognized pharmacological properties could theoretically interfere with fibromyalgia pain pathways. Dose escalating-controlled studies seem warranted.