• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Always reassessing

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
The last couple of weeks i have been waking up exhausted for the first few hours as well as feeling very achey and noticed it was getting harder and harder to get to sleep and or my sleep quality was crap.

I didnt really feel like i was crashing or viral reactivation etc just feeling out of sorts. Then hit hit me yesterday that its my sleep rhthyms that are out of whack which i not only class as melatonin but also cortisol cycle.

I really think my cortisol cycle was shifting for the worse, low in the morning, and late afternoon / early night i felt alot better. So last night i added phosphatidylserine (PS)500mg back into my sleep stack, i also took some tramadol SR as well to help with the pain, generally its not sedating at all for me. I was starting to think maybe i was getting a tolerence to my sleep meds and time to back off some, but if cortisol was high then sleep meds are going to struggle getting me to sleep. But i slept well last night and woke up refreshed, maybe getting cortisol in the morning?? plus the sheets werent rolled up in a ball like normal from the tossing and turning from back pain etc so tramadol helped there with pain which was also disturbing my sleep especially the later half. i think the lyrica helps pain in the firsy half of the night but not the second half, maybe just doesnt work long enough.

I stopped the PS a while back as i think it was lowering my overall cortisol too much, so took a break for abit. Now PS is back in the sleep regime for awhile. maybe need to work in a lower dose after awhile??

I just think our dysfunctional bodies/brain are always pushing against us, we add something to it and it over adjusts etc. Always the need to reasses whats causing symptoms. Its only one night so far but i 'think' its more to do with cortisol cycle, not infection/immune issues which seem to be on track, for now??

Can this dam body stop over or under adjusting to everything we do to it and just act normal??

cheers!!!

August59

Daughters High School Graduation
It's the exact same with me and I think you are definitely right in your reasoning to do periodic re-assessments based on changes in sleep especially, but also in other effects that you know could be related to part or all of the HPA axis.

I'm getting ready to have my cortisol re-checked along with some other hormones using an Adrenal Stress Index that you usually have to get through a practitioner, but I found a place that sells it direct.

I've got to go through PrivateMDLabs to get my Free T4 and Free T3 checked because I can't talk the doctor into checking them as he is a TSH only doctor, but I told him that I would not change my thyroid meds based on a TSH results only. This doctor will however draw blood for a Lipids Panel when your not fasting, which I have never had a doctor do before.

Just so you will know I am in the process of searching for another doctor!!!!

Hope you get things figured out and let us know what you find out please!!

August59

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Adding to this dam reassessment is sinusitis. I think it was hard to pick up as there was no postnasal drip like normal, when i started to get the frontal sinus headaches and the increased fatigue, i had a feeling it was sinusitis so used a nasal spray which opens them up within minutes which it did and then came to post nasal trickle and headache eased slightly. I have used it before to help diagnose the sinusitis so i have just started abx, hopefully early enough so i can survive work starting sunday.

Theres a definate pattern with me over the last few years and that is lack of sleep then come the issues. Im not sure which is first with sinusis or sleep issues as the sinus pressure builds up when sleeping and then wake with a cracker headache. This time i think it was the sleep that started it all first.

Im sure in a dictionary when one looks up yoyo theres a person with cfs/me, or when it rains it pours. while im on a roll, death and taxes with the long time cfser yelling out come on death!, i dont have any money for the tax man, i dont earn enough.:lol: