1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
AVIVA Semi-Finals: National ME/FM Action Network is competing for $100,000
The National ME/FM Action Network in Canada is competing for $100,000 for biomedical research of ME and FM in the Aviva Community Fund contest. With thanks to all who helped, they made it through the first round of voting into the Semi-Finals.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Aluminium in drinking water - Camelford inquiry at last

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by currer, Sep 12, 2013.

1. currer

currer Senior Member

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/9119528/Is-aluminium-really-a-silent-killer.html

Twenty-four years ago, one of the UK’s most notorious pollution disasters occurred. At a water treatment works on the edge of Bodmin Moor, 20 tonnes of aluminium sulphate leaked into the water supply serving the nearby town of Camelford.

Years of bitter disputes followed, with people who had drunk the water complaining of health problems. There were government inquiries, accusations of a cover-up – and, in 2004, the death of Carole Cross. This 58-year-old Camelford resident died from a rare and aggressive form of Alzheimer’s, and her brain was found to contain unusually high levels of aluminium.

The inquest into the cause of Mrs Cross’s death, delayed twice in the past few years, is set to report this week. Among those who will be watching the outcome with interest is Professor Chris Exley, who was called in nearly eight years ago to examine Mrs Cross’s brain (it contained 23 micrograms of aluminium per gram of brain, compared to normal levels of 0‑2mcg).

But Prof Exley, a world-renowned expert on aluminium, hopes the inquest will do more than finally establish the truth about why Mrs Cross died (he is convinced that aluminium from the drinking water played a role in her mental deterioration). He also hopes it will highlight how little we know about the implications for our health of the most prolific metal on the planet.

Aluminium, he argues, is now added to or used in almost everything we eat, drink, inject or absorb.

maryb, alex3619 and Sasha like this.
  2. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Finally. The question is now what public relations countermeasures (spin) will this induce?

3. Bob

Bob

South of England
    It's a bit of an old article, currer: 05 Mar 2012

4. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

Weren't the results something like: 'It was probably the aluminium that done it, but lets not worry about that now. No-one wants inconvenient accountability at this point, do they?'

5. peggy-sue

peggy-sue

Scotland
    Or have it pointed out that is was "sir" simon who decided officially it was all just mass hysteria at the time.

6. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

He didn't actually say that (that I've seen of his public statements)... he's careful with his words. He did write a paper which was cited by others as evidence that camelford was mass hysteria.

7. peggy-sue

peggy-sue

Scotland
    Aaargh - me and linguistic/mental short-cuts, getting it wrong again. Thanks for correcting me, Esther.
    So, he sort of said it, it still got taken as being the official cause, but he won't get any come-back for having been wrong.

I do get caught out, every time, with wordsmiths and philosophers and lawyers; all sorts of authorities - banks, finance - who use words to imply one thing, while actually saying another. :alien:

Bob, alex3619, maryb and 1 other person like this.
  8. prioris

prioris

baking powder is number one source of getting aluminum. i make sure i use the non aluminum kind.

9. MeSci

MeSci ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6

Cornwall, UK
    New article here
    I lived near enough to Camelford at the time to be prompted to check whether my tapwater came from that source, and to my relief it didn't.

The MP and former MP referred to are/were my own.

It was only in the past year or so that I became aware of the Wessely connection.

10. MeSci

Cornwall, UK
    You mean this one?

11. MeSci

Cornwall, UK
    Just had a quick skim-read to find what Wessely and colleague's conclusion actually was. Here it is:

AFAIK he has always avoided using the 'h' word, which has been easily achieved by finding alternative expressions that mean the same thing, as helpfully listed by this weird site, for example:

(thus essentially admitting that they are simply new terms for what used to be called hysteria)

aided by additional terms from the psychoquacks' lexicon such as 'MUS' and 'MUPS' (does the latter mean that we are muppets? :lol:)

That weird site promotes Freudian BS and twaddle like

REALLY? o_O

Valentijn likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.