• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Alpha Mio Heart Rate monitor - Input Pls

Seven7

Seven
To all,

Anybody has the Alpha Mio Heart Rate monitor? Any comments? I am divided between the TomTom runner cardio that has the same technology now or the Alpha Mio. Any input will be helpful if you had used either one.

I do not want any strap 100% sure.

Seven7

Seven
I'm interested in this too, Inester7. I've been thinking of getting this one, life trak zone,
http://www.cnet.com/products/lifetrak-zone-c410/

A lot of new smart watches (including apple watch) have heart rate monitors. Been great to see more choices in strapless heart rate monitors.
The trick is to find the ones that have the Mio technology. Which is the Philip's one, because is more accurate, and that is continuous and you can have a charge all day.

JAH

The trick is to find the ones that have the Mio technology. Which is the Philip's one, because is more accurate, and that is continuous and you can have a charge all day.
I see what you're saying, the continuos monitoring is the key for me. Hope you get some feedback from users!

MikeJackmin

If you like the Mio technology, it looks like you are limited to two choices, the Mio Alpha and the Mio Link. Both are sold by amazon and there are plenty of customer reviews:

http://www.amazon.com/Alpha-Strapless-Continuous-Heart-Monitor/dp/B00BJ6HLDI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1410706715&sr=8-1&keywords=mio alpha#customerReviews

http://www.amazon.com/Mio-56P-GRY-L-Continuous-Strapless-Heart/dp/B00IVF04LG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1410706813&sr=8-1&keywords=mio heart#customerReviews

As a general rule with any amazon product, I usually find the three-star reviews to be the most informative.

Anybody has the Alpha Mio Heart Rate monitor? Any comments? I am divided between the TomTom runner cardio that has the same technology now or the Alpha Mio. Any input will be helpful if you had used either one.
I got an Alpha Mio about 3 months ago, and I loves it!

One downside is there can be a slight delay in the change of heart rate, due to recalculating needing to occur based on a sample of X seconds (5? 10?). Plus it's often useless when in a moving car, due to the vibrations from the road.

But otherwise it's great. I'v set two "low" and two "high" alarms, so at 100 I get a single warning beep, and at 110+ I get a double beep. It also flashes red when too high, instead of green. Though those only beep and flash when in exercise mode. Otherwise I just have it in heart rate monitoring mode, so I can keep an eye on it without beeping loudly while out in public.

It's also waterproof, as long as you don't push the buttons while it's immersed. So I wear it when taking showers, since those are particularly tricky when it comes to pacing, and could wear it while swimming if I could swim :rolleyes:

Anyhow, I think it's been very helpful in letting me assess my heart rate in situations where I otherwise wouldn't be able to. And I'm also a chest-strap-hater :D

Oh, and the charge lasts for several days of frequent use, and just takes about 2 hours to completely recharge. Though I mostly just use it for "special" activities (showers, outings), so can go weeks without needing to recharge.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque

One downside is there can be a slight delay in the change of heart rate, due to recalculating needing to occur based on a sample of X seconds (5? 10?)....

I wonder if it would stay accurate during an episode of afib, when your heart rate is jumping 30 to 50 points every few seconds? It sounds like this might fry its brain? :p

I have an old Sigma chest strap model that can cope but a wrist model would be more comfortable.

Sushi

JAH

One downside is there can be a slight delay in the change of heart rate, due to recalculating needing to occur based on a sample of X seconds (5? 10?). Plus it's often useless when in a moving car, due to the vibrations from the road.

But otherwise it's great. I'v set two "low" and two "high" alarms, so at 100 I get a single warning beep, and at 110+ I get a double beep. It also flashes red when too high, instead of green. Though those only beep and flash when in exercise mode. Otherwise I just have it in heart rate monitoring mode, so I can keep an eye on it without beeping loudly while out in public.

It's also waterproof, as long as you don't push the buttons while it's immersed. So I wear it when taking showers, since those are particularly tricky when it comes to pacing, and could wear it while swimming if I could swim :rolleyes:

Anyhow, I think it's been very helpful in letting me assess my heart rate in situations where I otherwise wouldn't be able to. And I'm also a chest-strap-hater :D

Oh, and the charge lasts for several days of frequent use, and just takes about 2 hours to completely recharge. Though I mostly just use it for "special" activities (showers, outings), so can go weeks without needing to recharge.
Valentijn, does it record you heart rate? Meaning can I use it to track my heart rate throughout the day, and the data is stored or recorded.

Thanks for your reply,
JAH

Valentijn, does it record you heart rate? Meaning can I use it to track my heart rate throughout the day, and the data is stored or recorded.

Thanks for your reply,
JAH
From what I recall, the watch will only show averages from an "exercise session" (when the beeps and flashes are activated), but can upload more detailed info to another device via bluetooth. An "exercise session" should be able to last all day, but I'm not sure how detailed that info is, since I've never tried to use it.

I wonder if it would stay accurate during an episode of afib, when your heart rate is jumping 30 to 50 points every few seconds? It sounds like this might fry its brain? :p
It might be possible to figure out what just happened, due to values suddenly rising or dropping. But the effect might look blunted due to it calculating averages.

Seven7

Seven
@Valentijn what app are you using?

So far I am impressed, is very accurate, it does lag about 2 to 3 seconds but that is ok for me, it is so much worth it!!! and has not stop measuring yet (like my chest strap used to due to my very very very Abundant Bosom :rofl:).

I am loving it! the app not so much (Is like all apps focus on everything but heart rate).

JAH

@Valentijn what app are you using?

So far I am impressed, is very accurate, it does lag about 2 to 3 seconds but that is ok for me, it is so much worth it!!! and has not stop measuring yet (like my chest strap used to due to my very very very Abundant Bosom :rofl:).

I am loving it! the app not so much (Is like all apps focus on everything but heart rate).
Inester7, did you buy the Mio Link or the Alpha?

Let us know if you found an app you like, J

Last edited:

JAH

Seven7

Seven
Thanks. Was thinking of getting the Mio Link, just because it is slimmer. Do you find the alpha too bulky to wear all the time?

My husband says it is, for me it is not , I bought the small/medium model (for female), is just a bit thicker than my Polar since this one is square instead of round.