• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Alpha Lipoic Acid side effects

ebethc

It can also drop blood sugar, so if you are not diabetic , that could actually be a problem.

I'm not diabetic, but I wanted to drop my blood sugar a LITTLE bit, which would be fine. I really felt flu-ish & had dark circles under my eyes, which I believe is more of a detox feeling. today is the first day I feel better... After lots & lots of sleep & water.

still curious about ALA's effect on metals other than mercury.

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
still curious about ALA's effect on metals other than mercury.

There is some info about metal chelation at the link I gave in the second post in this thread:
2.5. Metal Chelation
Alpha-Lipoic Acid (ALA) as well as its metabolite dihydrolipoic acid bind to metals in vitro, with the former binding to copper, lead, and Zinc while the reduced form of dihydrolipoic acid binds to those three as well as mercury and iron(III).[32] Due to Selenium and manganese deficiency being symptoms of ALA toxicity[33], it seems ALA or its metabolites can bind to these two metals as well.

In vivo, ALA has been observed to reduce iron levels in the brain and liver, but only when the iron level is above normal.[34][35] These results preliminarily suggest that ALA does not negatively affect the mineral status of the body.

ALA has given me the same feeling as taurine, some other sulfur-containing things: excitotoxic. Sounds pretty much like you, @picante: jumping out of skin, tearing out hair. Probably some squinty eyes, can't recall the specifics now, as I just avoid them. I tried taurine again a few months ago, felt like I poisoned myself.

ALA has a half life of about 3 hours. The reactions you had are similar to those experienced by mercury poisoned individuals who take ALA at irregular periods or at a period exceeding the half life. What happens is the concentration of ALA peaks rapidly at about 2 hours then drops rapidly. This sudden drop release a lot of mercury as ALA is not a true chelator but forms a complex with mercury atoms. This sudden release of freed mercury can cause neurological and emotional symptoms. When chelating ALA is taken at least every 3 hours for this reason.

A study by Gregus found that ALA reduced the biliary excretion of methylmercury, cadmium, zinc and copper, while increasing the excretion of inorganic mercury 12 to 37-fold. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/0041008X92901007

Even if you had amalgams removed years ago, mercury can remain sequestered in organs for many years, particularly if excretion is poor. You can also be exposed to mercury from HFCS, vaccines and coal-fired power stations.

A study by Ingegerd Rosborg found that 40 women with fibromyalgia had the same mercury blood levels as the controls, but only one-third the level of mercury in the urine – meaning that they were excreting less and thus more was being deposited in the body.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0048969707005529

If you react to ALA it may be a sign that you do have a mercury problem.

David.

MeSci

ALA has a half life of about 3 hours. The reactions you had are similar to those experienced by mercury poisoned individuals who take ALA at irregular periods or at a period exceeding the half life. What happens is the concentration of ALA peaks rapidly at about 2 hours then drops rapidly. This sudden drop release a lot of mercury as ALA is not a true chelator but forms a complex with mercury atoms. This sudden release of freed mercury can cause neurological and emotional symptoms. When chelating ALA is taken at least every 3 hours for this reason.

A study by Gregus found that ALA reduced the biliary excretion of methylmercury, cadmium, zinc and copper, while increasing the excretion of inorganic mercury 12 to 37-fold. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/0041008X92901007

Even if you had amalgams removed years ago, mercury can remain sequestered in organs for many years, particularly if excretion is poor. You can also be exposed to mercury from HFCS, vaccines and coal-fired power stations.

A study by Ingegerd Rosborg found that 40 women with fibromyalgia had the same mercury blood levels as the controls, but only one-third the level of mercury in the urine – meaning that they were excreting less and thus more was being deposited in the body.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0048969707005529

If you react to ALA it may be a sign that you do have a mercury problem.

David.

I couldn't access the human paper (the second one), getting a message "You have been temporarily denied access to the system." I ignore animal studies (e.g. the first one) due to their very poor translatability to humans. What I was hoping to clarify was any relationship between the 'biliary excretion' referred to in the first study and the urinary excretion referred to in the second. This paper says that some organic waste products can be lost in urine or faeces via biliary excretion, but I wonder whether this is the case for inorganic metals?

jason30

David.

Interesting David!
I have mercury in my body, I tested ALA 6 months ago (1 pill). I really thought I died. After this I did a hair elements test and it showed a mercury load, as well as a deficiency in Magnesium, Sodium, Manganese, Chromium, Molybdenum, Boron, Iodine, Lithium, Selenium.
I am now trying to drop the mercury out of my body. I have came across the Andy Cutler protocol and read about ALA.
ALA could be the solution. Before I start with ALA I need to raise some minerals. But the problem for me is that I get Fibro symptoms / mercury release symptoms when I try to raise selenium, Molybdenum and Manganese. Even in small doses.
Now I am a bit stuck because I don't think it's wise to start with the Andy Cutler protocol by taking ALA every 3 hours with low minerals.
Does anyone have any advice?

@jason30 I would suggest you try low dose DMPS initially. When you are comfortable with that you can add ALA in very small doses – maybe 3 mg. What dose did you take before?

The minerals in the essential hair tests do not necessarily correlate with body burden. Magnesium and calcium levels are often opposite what they are in the body. Lithium, selenium, zinc, boron, iodine, manganese and molybdenum are generally accurately reflected in hair tests unless there is deranged mineral transport which is apparent from the test.

Zinc (which is displaced by mercury) is the most important mineral for mercury poisoned people. It is necessary for the synthesis of metallothioneins which are proteins involved in the detoxification of heavy metals.

The other essential supplements are vitamins C & E and magnesium.

Some people feel they have to improve their liver function, or adjust their minerals status etc before starting chelation. In general, as mercury is the cause, I think it is better to start chelating, even if the dose is only 1 mg every 3 hours.

jason30

@jason30 I would suggest you try low dose DMPS initially. When you are comfortable with that you can add ALA in very small doses – maybe 3 mg. What dose did you take before?

The minerals in the essential hair tests do not necessarily correlate with body burden. Magnesium and calcium levels are often opposite what they are in the body. Lithium, selenium, zinc, boron, iodine, manganese and molybdenum are generally accurately reflected in hair tests unless there is deranged mineral transport which is apparent from the test.

Zinc (which is displaced by mercury) is the most important mineral for mercury poisoned people. It is necessary for the synthesis of metallothioneins which are proteins involved in the detoxification of heavy metals.

The other essential supplements are vitamins C & E and magnesium.

Some people feel they have to improve their liver function, or adjust their minerals status etc before starting chelation. In general, as mercury is the caI use, I think it is better to start chelating, even if the dose is only 1 mg every 3 hours.

Sidereal & David, I took this one; http://www.iherb.com/Doctor-s-Best-Best-Stabilized-R-Lipoic-Acid-100-mg-60-Veggie-Caps/4
I am now aware that I never had to start with one pill (100mg). After taking this ALA I got nervousness, alot of pain on the chest, couldn't think clearly and was just completely turned off!
But back then I didn't knew I had a mercury poisoning. The reason I wanted to start with ALA was to increase energy.

Thanks David, I will try DMPS. I have read that DMPS is not recommended by people with Candida, so i'll have to test that out.
The results of the hair test showed a deranged mineral transport, so that could be the reason. But is supplementing these minerals adviced when there is a deranged mineral transport? Could the mercury be the cause of the deranged mineral transport?

About the other essential supplements; vitamins C & E and magnesium. I take this all on a daily basis except Vitamin E. Vitamin E gives me Fibro symptoms. I still did not figured it out why this is happening, it could be the fillers.

I am looking for ways to improve my liver function, unfortunately I can't accept NAC. I do accept Silymarin, I take this every day. In addition, I eat liver and take Chanca Piedra thea.

jason30

BTW, do you know if chelated supplements is adviced by mercury poisoning? For example Molybdenum chelated. I don't know much about it, but somehow I have this feeling that chelated forms are somehow be able to absorb mercury, and then release it somewhere else in the body.

@jason30 Actually it is DMSA that is not recommended for people with Candida as it can cause neutropenia. DMPS is also a more effective chelator of mercury. Mercury can cause deranged mineral transport in which case the levels of elements are not reliable.

Gondwanaland

But is supplementing these minerals adviced when there is a deranged mineral transport?
I think it essentially means that you will benefit from supplementation. Personaly I feel an enourmous benefit from supplementing small amounts of minerals that a healthy person is able to absorb from food, but in my case the supplementation makes all the difference.
Vitamin E gives me Fibro symptoms. I still did not figured it out why this is happening, it could be the fillers.
I think it means you have to start with some other fatty vitamin. Just recently my husband and I got depression from Gamma E and it turned out my husband needed vitamin D in the first place.
I do accept Silymarin, I take this every day.
Watch out for any changes in your needs. Silymarin might mess up with iron, perhaps copper. Keep the doses low.

jason30

Thanks alot David and Gondwanaland!

I think it essentially means that you will benefit from supplementation. Personaly I feel an enourmous benefit from supplementing small amounts of minerals that a healthy person is able to absorb from food, but in my case the supplementation makes all the difference

I found a mineral supplement which suits my needs, though I'll have to divide the capsules into smaller doses.
http://www.iherb.com/Thorne-Research-Pic-Mins-90-Veggie-Caps/18507

I think it means you have to start with some other fatty vitamin. Just recently my husband and I got depression from Gamma E and it turned out my husband needed vitamin D in the first place.

I started with both Vitamine E and D at the same time, I'll test it again after taking Vitamin D first.

Thanks again!

MeSci

Thanks alot David and Gondwanaland!

I found a mineral supplement which suits my needs, though I'll have to divide the capsules into smaller doses.
http://www.iherb.com/Thorne-Research-Pic-Mins-90-Veggie-Caps/18507

I started with both Vitamine E and D at the same time, I'll test it again after taking Vitamin D first.

Thanks again!

I like the look of that Thorne mineral supplement, but it's a lot more expensive in the UK (just looked on Amazon). May try it sometime.

I am one of those who can't tolerate Vitamin D3, and seem to have developed hypercalcaemia from it, which can be serious.

jason30

I like the look of that Thorne mineral supplement, but it's a lot more expensive in the UK (just looked on Amazon). May try it sometime.

I am one of those who can't tolerate Vitamin D3, and seem to have developed hypercalcaemia from it, which can be serious.

I never heard of hypercalcaemia, just googled it and it looks indeed serious. Do you know if you have low vitamin D3 levels?
Did you tried to take more magnesium? Magnesium could balance it because magnesium has some love-hate relationship with calcium.

Copper depletion would be a problem for me if I took it even in divided dose

2 weeks ago I found out that my copper level is low. I think that this is the result of taking more Vitamin C in the last 3 months. Now I take 4 days vitamin c (1000mg a day) and then 3 days no vitamine c but copper.

MeSci

I never heard of hypercalcaemia, just googled it and it looks indeed serious. Do you know if you have low vitamin D3 levels?
Did you tried to take more magnesium? Magnesium could balance it because magnesium has some love-hate relationship with calcium.

I stopped the D3 as I had been getting scary symptoms, and also felt as though I was developing kidney stones, having already been passing what appear to be small gallstones. These in themselves may not be serious, but they can indicate calcium being laid down in inappropriate places, and this can include blood vessels. I have noted in my supplement diary
had an alarming episode of unilateral numbness spreading from arm to face and vice versa, plus dizziness and very high blood pressure.

I've also reduced my bone mineral supplement, and have started taking extra magnesium. I don't know what my Vitamin D levels are/were, but had been getting plenty of sun so maybe they were fine.

Last edited: