• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Allergies, IGE, mast cells, and cell damage

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
long article but well worth the read:
http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20150409-why-do-we-have-allergies?
by Carl Zimmer

We might have more effective treatments if scientists understood allergies, but a maddening web of causes underlies allergic reactions. Cells are aroused, chemicals released, signals relayed. Scientists have only partially mapped the process. And there’s an even bigger mystery underlying this biochemical web: why do we even get allergies at all?

Misfiring defences

“That is exactly the problem I love,” Ruslan Medzhitov told me recently. “It’s very big, it’s very fundamental, and completely unknown.”

roller

wiggle jiggle
Medzhitov
IgE only when the intruder goes on a rampage

Dunne
helminths share sequences of genetic strings with plants/fungi/...
e.g. the fluke Schisto japa appears to the body as birch pollen, as they have overlapping genes.

Dunne concludes: nature planned to equip us (and plants...) with a defense to helminths and therefore made us allergic to helminths.
unfortunately, the genes are overlapping (e.g. schisto = birch), and therefore we fall sick to birch pollen.
i think, they couldnt be more wrong on this reasoning. correct me, if they mean something different.

sure thing - i want to be allergic to helminths. what to do?
stupidly, i was tested unallergic to the known culprits.

option based on Medzhitov idee:
reduce IGF-1 to increase injury caused by helminths

option based on Dunne idee:
become allergic to birch pollen (means, the allergens of the helminths i have)
how? perhaps by applying pollen extract to tissue, ingesting... any ideas?

Last edited:

roller

wiggle jiggle
looking at circumstantial evidence, allergies seem of utmost importance.
faik humans and helminths have 100% same genetics, btw.

and this has to do with the allergic response as well?
The resident skin microbiota plays an important role in restricting pathogenic bacteria, thereby protecting the host. Scabies mites (Sarcoptes scabiei) are thought to promote bacterial infections by breaching the skin barrier and excreting molecules that inhibit host innate immune responses.
http://journals.plos.org/plosntds/article?id=10.1371/journal.pntd.0002897

Last edited: