August 8th, 2016: Understanding and Remembrance Day for Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis
Jody Smith joins with other ME voices in honor of Understanding and Remembrance Day for Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Aliquot and store at -20/-80

Discussion in 'Diagnostic Guidelines and Laboratory Testing' started by Living Dead, Jul 11, 2016.

1. Living Dead

Living Dead Senior Member

My doctor didn't know how to take the redlabs tests. The instructions says:
    What does aliquot mean? If it is the separation of the serum from the rest, why does it say aliquot when it already says serum? Redundant instructions?

Does it mean you can choose between -20 and -80 or what?

2. Valentijn

Valentijn Senior Member

Any reason that a lab isn't doing it? I don't think doctors typically learn much about drawing, storing, or shipping blood samples. A phlebotomist would probably know what to do.

3. Living Dead

Living Dead Senior Member

When I got home I realized I could have been more pushy and requested that he showed the instructions directly to the ladies who are doing the actual work with drawing, processing and shipping blood.

Valentijn likes this.
  4. *GG*

*GG* Senior Member

Concord, NH
    Was thinking perhaps they forgot to put in Degree Fahrenheit. But that doesn't seem to be the issue. Oh, maybe it is fine as long as it is under -20, to -80 degrees Celsius. Labs probably don't necessarily have a Freezer at -20 or -80 degrees C. So something at -40 or -60 would be fine?

GG

See more popular forum discussions.