• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

ALA flushes out B12 but is needed for chelation

The short story:

• I need loads of MB12 to avoid acute deficiency symptoms. With proper doses of cofactors like methylfolate, methylated B complex, and SamE, these injections work quite well.

• I have mercury, which I want to chelate (using Cutler’s ALA protocol—have worked up from 25 to 100 mg, so there is definite progress).

• However, on ALA rounds, my B12 shots basically stop working. I just pee it all out (urine turns pink; off round the color is normal) and deficiency symptoms surface. The same thing happens if I take glutathione or any of its precursors (NAC, glutamine, etc.), just as Freddd has warned us about.

ALA raises glutathione, so I suspect that’s the reason for this nasty side effect.

So it seems like a catch-22. I want to get rid of the mercury, since it probably messes with my methylation/B12 retention, but the chelator … er, messes with my B12 retention!

Any hacks to suggest? Theoretically a glutathione _lowering_ supplement would be useful here, if Freddd’s hypothesis is correct.

Thanks in advance!

caledonia

Congratulations on your progress with chelation.

Glutathione is a good thing. It seems silly to want to reduce it, but if you want to do that, smoke some cigarettes, or take some Tylenol (I'm somewhat joking here - of course, you wouldn't want to ingest more toxins.)

Lowering the amount of ALA should accomplish the same thing. My suggestion would be to lower the ALA dose until it doesn't affect the B12, if that's possible.

Note that the amount of ALA doesn't necessarily correlate to the amount of mercury which is removed.

p.s. How many rounds has it taken you to get to 100mg? I'm worried that you might be pushing too hard with raising the dose too much and too soon.

Thanks, Caledonia.

I know that GSH is ”good” for me, but all its precursors messes with my precious B12. I’ve seen it over and over. So I need to keep it in check.

At 25 mg ALA, B12 is virtually unaffected. 50 mg or higher impairs B12 retention. So theoretically I could remove all the Hg using a super low chelator dosage, but that would take a very long time. Cutler has stated that the rate of Hg removal is ≈ square root of chelator dose, so there ought to be a correlation. But the detox gains are not huge in upping the dosages; however, side effects are much more pronounced.

I’ve done about 150 rounds now. It’s certainly a marathon! I did well with 50 and 75 mg ALA for a long time and so I decided to up the dosage to 100 mg a while ago. I’m well aware of the hazards of raising the dosage too soon.

caledonia

Thanks, Caledonia.

I know that GSH is ”good” for me, but all its precursors messes with my precious B12. I’ve seen it over and over. So I need to keep it in check.

At 25 mg ALA, B12 is virtually unaffected. 50 mg or higher impairs B12 retention. So theoretically I could remove all the Hg using a super low chelator dosage, but that would take a very long time. Cutler has stated that the rate of Hg removal is ≈ square root of chelator dose, so there ought to be a correlation. But the detox gains are not huge in upping the dosages; however, side effects are much more pronounced.

I’ve done about 150 rounds now. It’s certainly a marathon! I did well with 50 and 75 mg ALA for a long time and so I decided to up the dosage to 100 mg a while ago. I’m well aware of the hazards of raising the dosage too soon.

Congratulations on 150 rounds!

It sounds like the solution is to keep the ALA between 25mg and 49mg, until you no longer get the effect of going into B12 deficiency.

Let's pretend that you did do tylenol or something to reduce glutathione. I think that would also impair your ability to detox the mercury. So you might as well cut back on ALA.