• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

ALA flared virus big-time

Christopher

I'm not sure what viruses I'm dealing with (slight pos. for HHV6, EBV, CMV), but I have symptom improvement with both doxycycline and acyclovir/valtrex. I was stable on these meds, and attempted "chelation" with alpha lipoic acid for 7 days.

During that time, I felt a sore throat that usually comes and goes. Once I stopped the ALA, I had a severe neurological crash which included sound/light sensitivity, right side weakness and tingling (face, arm, leg), and severe fatigue. The sore throat completely vanished at the same time.

These symptoms point to viral activation in my opinion which overwhelmed my immune system.

This was back in May, and I am still not doing as well as I had been prior to using ALA. I know that ALA is not only a mercury chelator but also may have antiretroviral properties. I'm currently increasing my dose of acyclovir to try to recover.

Be careful with ALA if you're an antiviral responder like me.

Sparrowhawk

I joined the Cutler groups on Yahoo to learn more about that ALA approach. What I'm reading is that you need to slowly work up to a dose of ALA, number of days on vs. off, etc. ... and some folks don't even start with ALA (sensatives I think start with DMPS?) so you might look into that if you try again.