• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

AIR HUNGER and incessant yawning

Dreambirdie

work in progress
For the past couple months I've had these very annoying recurring bouts of air hunger and incessant yawning. They began with a low grade flu-ike infection, back in late February, (which I haven't been able to shake yet). I'm sure pollen allergies contributed to the problem, as did several nasty cavities--one of which had a bacterial funk. I finally got myself to the dentist this past month to have them drilled and filled, and I thouhgt that would take some of the stress off my immune system, relieve the infection and getting my breathing back to normal. But so far, no luck with that.

I really don't get this.... o_O It doesn't happen every day, and sometimes it doesn't happen at all. But on a bad day, it seems like I am yawning and sighing all day. Sometimes walking around/moving relieves it, sometimes it doesn't.

Any ideas how to get on top of it would be appreciated. Thanks.

kolowesi

Someone told me something came over from China. Sorry to be so vague.

When smoke is over my location because of fields being burned in Central America, I have those same symptoms. Well, not specifically the flu-like, but the incessant yawning and some near panic attacks.

I yawn from food allergies and if I'm around chemicals. I don't know if yours is from allergies but from my experience some of the keys are:

Have you added any new foods to your diet? Did you eliminate anything that could have been helping you methylate or detox before? Something that helped with lowering your histamine response?

It can be a small change such as a different cleaning product or detergent, or going to a new place with a new air freshener. Air ducts in a new place can be bad, or filters in air conditioners, humidifiers, dehumidifiers, fans, etc. Also like kolowesi said, maybe something being done by a neighboring home or business, I read about people having symptoms when crops are sprayed :(

Nasal steroids help me stop the yawning and feeling stuffy.

I've forgotten my other suggestion :(

Dreambirdie

work in progress
Ema Interesting about the thyroid... I have ordered the tests from ZRT and will re-check it and see what's up. They test TSH, TPO, Free T3 and Free T4. My TSH and TPO have always tested fine in the past, but the others were low normal range last time I tested it, which was several years ago. I have been taking ashwagandha for my thyroid, which was recommended by my naturopath. But now that I'm taking B12 regularly, this could be affecting my levels. I'm curious to see what they are.

kolowesi I don't think there's anything unusual in the air, besides the last batch of spring pollen which could be part f the problem.

SickOfSickness I have been taking B12 more regularly lately, so maybe thatis playing some part in this...?

Seven7

Seven
Mine is due to Othostatic intolerance, as soon as I take the midodrine I stop the yawning.

L'engle

moogle
I have this sometimes. It's pretty annoying. Do you ever have where it's as if the yawn 'doesn't work', like the inhale part happens but then the exhale feels like it is not clearing the way it should so you don't get the releif from it. I don't get it too often but it's not great.

Dreambirdie

work in progress
I found two acupuncture points that have helped relieve this to some extent.
Kidney 3 and Lung 5, needled together at the same time.

acupuncturepoint_lu5.gif
DSC00561-300x225.jpg

valentinelynx

I get this sometimes. Lately it seems to be related to medications: either because of a certain pain med or because a different pain med is wearing off. It used to drive me nuts while I was trying to meditate when I was taking methadone (which I did for years). I switched meds a year or so ago, and the yawning thing got much much better. Then I started another pain med that helps greatly with the burning pain in the evening, but the yawns are back! Anyway, it seems to be related to neurochemistry (wow, what a revelation!). Sorry for the rambling, useless post. :rolleyes: