• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

AIDS Research Fraud?

SOC

http://amestrib.com/news/isu-researcher-implicated-aids-research-fraud

This sounds fishy. If he deliberately faked it, surely he knew the truth would out at some point?
Doesn't make any sense.
It never does make sense, and yet it really does happen. I think they start falsifying in small ways, often relatively early in their education, and get away with it (and even rewarded in some ways) over and over for years until they start thinking they'll never get caught. The same thing happens with politicians and their sex scandals. ;)

Last edited:

alex3619

The same thing happens with all babble. If unethical practice is rewarded then it goes forward. That is my explanation for most economic theory and most of psychogenic medicine, plus much of psychiatry. Its not just political scandals either, but everyday political policy in just about every party everywhere.

Whether or not its correct in this case remains to be seen. In cases of fraud more evidence tends to come out over time.

leela

Sounds like a fall guy to me. Especially given the lightness of his "punishment.

SOC

Sounds like a fall guy to me. Especially given the lightness of his "punishment.
Could be. In some environments "fudging" becomes so common that everyone in the circle thinks it's normal. When they're caught, they're surprised and feel they're being unfairly picked on because "everyone does it". Certainly an organization with rampant lack of ethics is likely to try to slide all the blame onto a single individual and call it "an isolated incident". While the person blamed is probably far from the only responsible person, it is unlikely they had no idea what they were doing. There are few true innocents in situations like this.

Snow Leopard

Hibernating
It shows you how much oversight there is (or lack of) by superiors unfortunately. There is a lot of trust in science, despite all that is said about 'peer review'. There still needs to be a balance.