1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Knitting Equals Pleasure, Despite ME/CFS
Jody Smith loves knitting. Again. She thought her days of knitting and purling were long over but ... she's back ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

AIDS Research Fraud?

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by leela, Dec 26, 2013.

1. leela

leela Slow But Hopeful

Couchland, USA
    http://amestrib.com/news/isu-researcher-implicated-aids-research-fraud

This sounds fishy. If he deliberately faked it, surely he knew the truth would out at some point?
    Doesn't make any sense.
  2. SOC

SOC Moderator and Senior Member

USA
    It never does make sense, and yet it really does happen. I think they start falsifying in small ways, often relatively early in their education, and get away with it (and even rewarded in some ways) over and over for years until they start thinking they'll never get caught. The same thing happens with politicians and their sex scandals. ;)
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
    taniaaust1 likes this.
  3. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    The same thing happens with all babble. If unethical practice is rewarded then it goes forward. That is my explanation for most economic theory and most of psychogenic medicine, plus much of psychiatry. Its not just political scandals either, but everyday political policy in just about every party everywhere.

Whether or not its correct in this case remains to be seen. In cases of fraud more evidence tends to come out over time.
  4. leela

leela Slow But Hopeful

Couchland, USA
    Sounds like a fall guy to me. Especially given the lightness of his "punishment.
  5. SOC

SOC Moderator and Senior Member

USA
    Could be. In some environments "fudging" becomes so common that everyone in the circle thinks it's normal. When they're caught, they're surprised and feel they're being unfairly picked on because "everyone does it". Certainly an organization with rampant lack of ethics is likely to try to slide all the blame onto a single individual and call it "an isolated incident". While the person blamed is probably far from the only responsible person, it is unlikely they had no idea what they were doing. There are few true innocents in situations like this.
    taniaaust1, alex3619 and Valentijn like this.
  6. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member

Australia
    It shows you how much oversight there is (or lack of) by superiors unfortunately. There is a lot of trust in science, despite all that is said about 'peer review'. There still needs to be a balance.
    SOC likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.