• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

AHRQ's responses to comments on draft AHRQ review on CFS

Tom Kindlon

(I think this has been mentioned elsewhere on the site, but not on this thread)

As mentioned above, very frustrating that they don't use the actual employment data from the PACE Trial.

Instead they use the WSAS, ignoring comments such as my own:

Tom Kindlon
Assistant Chairperson of the Irish ME/CFS Association

Methods

The Work and Social Adjustment Scale is not valid as an employment measure (or work impairment) and should not be used given actual employment data was reported for some studies.

Here are the questions that make up the Work and Social Adjustment Scale

Mundt JC1, Marks IM, Shear MK, Greist JH. The Work and Social Adjustment Scale:a simple measure of impairment in functioning.Br J Psychiatry. 2002 May;180:461-4. http://bjp.rcpsych.org/content/180/5/461.long

Work and Social Adjustment Scale

Rate each of the following questions on a 0 to 8 scale:
0 indicates no impairment at all and 8 indicates very severe impairment.

1. Because of my [disorder], my ability to work is impaired.
0 means not at all impaired and 8 means very severely impaired to the point I can't work.

2. Because of my [disorder], my home management (cleaning, tidying, shopping, cooking, looking after home or children, paying bills) is impaired.
0 means not at all impaired and 8 means very severely impaired.

3. Because of my [disorder], my social leisure activities (with other people, such as parties, bars, clubs, outings, visits, dating, home entertainment) are impaired.

4. Because of my [disorder], my private leisure activities (done alone, such as reading, gardening, collecting, sewing, walking alone) are impaired.

5. Because of my [disorder], my ability to form and maintain close relationships with others, including those I live with, is impaired.

Comment: Only one of these directly relates to work. This means that scores and in particular changes in scores during a trial (or between treatments) may have nothing to do with changes in employment.

Thank you for your comment. Although the work and social adjustment scale reflects more social adjustment than employment parameters, it has been recognized as one tool to use in measuring meaningful change in patients with ME/CFS.