1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
The Pathway to Prevention (P2P) for ME/CFS: A Dangerous Process
Gabby Klein gives an overview of the P2P process, shedding light on the pitfalls with advice as to what we can do in protest ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

AHRQ review and the CFSAC recommendation

Discussion in 'Action Alerts and Advocacy' started by Dolphin, Feb 7, 2010.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

http://www.hhs.gov/advcomcfs/recommendations/10302009.html

Does anyone know about anything about this review? Normally CFS reviews come out recommending Graded Exercise Therapy (GET) and Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) as effective treatments for CFS.

If this happened with the AHRQ review, if I was in the US, I wouldnt like that message going out in the way suggested.
    Anyway, Im not in the US so Ill leave it up to others to see what to do if anything.
  2. Tammie

Tammie Senior Member

Woodridge, IL
    What is AHRQ?

Since I have no idea what that is, I also have no idea what is likely to come out of this review......could be really bad, or in a wishful little dream world, it could actually be a long long overdue spread of good info and then this kind of dissemination would be truly wonderful (& miraculous)
  3. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

2001 ARHQ review on CFS

Here is some information on the 2001 systematic review.
    These sort of reviews can only deal with what is in the medical literature.

4. Hope123

Hope123 Senior Member

AHRQ is the US gov't Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. It puts out guideline but they are not enforced in the same way as in the UK. AHRQ generally does good work and had a bit of power in the 1990s but was threatened by pharma companies, industry, etc. for criticizing (rightfully) them and its power is less now than before.

According to the notes I have, NIH is suppose to hold a State-of-The-Art Conference on CFS next year with AHRQ's help. These are reviews of the knowledge to date of a particular illness or condition. I suppose they would prioritize areas of research from there.

I think what will be important will be to make sure they include reviews of exercise physiology studies in CFS (work by Pacific Fatigue Lab and the Light lab out of Utah).
  5. mezombie

mezombie Senior Member

East Coast city, USA
    Seems to me this is something the IACFS/ME should be aware of, especially as they are in the process of putting together treatment (as well as research) guidelines.

AHRQ has a National Guideline Clearinghouse that consists of treatment guidelines submitted by private disease-oriented organizations.

http://www.guideline.gov/about/about.aspx
  6. Tammie

Tammie Senior Member

Woodridge, IL
    "http://www.ahrq.gov/research/dec01/1201RA29.htm

You Are Here: AHRQ Home > Research Findings > Research Activities > December 2001

Evidence-based Medicine

Cognitive behavioral therapy and graded exercise therapy show promise for managing chronic fatigue syndrome"

Ugh......evidenced based, my butt!

if this is what they are going by it is most definitely not very promising to say the least.....they need to read the study that was on here about a month ago re exercise....I think it originally came from cocure
  7. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

I agree with the sentiment. But often these reviews just look at clinical trials and dont look at other studies (e.g. exercise abnormalities). Studies on graded exercise therapy (GET) and cognitive behaviour therapy (CBT) based on GET use outcome measures which make them look like they helped a lot. There are all sorts of other problems with the studies as well e.g. the Oxford criteria may be used so all patients need to have to satisfy the criteria is chronic fatigue for 6 months which isnt necessarily real CFS or M.E.

But I think they shouldnt have recommended this be circulated until they see what it contained it could have been in the next set of CFSAC recommendations.

One lesson one needs to learn in the ME/CFS area I think is to be careful what you wish for.

(By the way, you will have to be more specific about what paper you are talking about).
  8. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Exactly (not sure how easy this will be).

See more popular forum discussions.