• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

AHRQ report-sysematic review on treatments in fibromyalia subgroups

catly

I received an email on this from the NIH CFSAC listserve yesterday.

I apologize if it's already been posted. Please remove or delete if it is duplicative.

Anyway, this is the draft report on AHRQ's systematic review of the evidence for treatment of subgroups in fibromyalgia. The report can be found here. The following is the conclusion:

"Conclusion. Limited, low strength of evidence for subgroup outcomes in adults with
fibromyalgia suggests that complex patient subgroups do not have differential treatment effects
compared with other adults with fibromyalgia. Overall treatment effects were small and even less
when substantial placebo-group improvements were considered relative to treatment effects."

The draft document is currently open for comments.

My Summary:
Most of the evidence (studies) they reviewed were on Duloxetine (Cymbalta) and they note that most of these studies were pharma based and imply there was/could be bias.

They seem to be imply the need for further research into non-pharmaceutical interventions for you guessed it-- non-pharmacology interventions such as CBT, mindfulness, exercise etc.

While the questions for the review of evidence for this study are different than the P2P for ME review questions, it's not hard to guess what the outcome will be for ME. The writing is on the wall!