Julie Rehmeyer's 'Through the Shadowlands'
Writer Never Give Up talks about Julie Rehmeyer's new book "Through the Shadowlands: A Science Writer's Odyssey into an Illness Science Doesn't Understand" and shares an interview with Julie ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Ageing Reversal: Human Trials Underway

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by leela, Nov 4, 2014.

1. leela

leela Slow But Hopeful

Couchland, USA
  2. free at last

free at last Senior Member

That's way out there if it really could work.

3. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    I hope they can stop the ageing reversal process one they've initiated it, or it could get rather awkward! :D

But, joking apart, it could be interesting research but there's little detail in the article.

4. leela

leela Slow But Hopeful

Couchland, USA
    Bob likes this.
  5. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    This technology will not reverse aging. It might however reverse some aspects of aging, and quality as life extension. However, one could argue that living longer means people may live until aging can really be reversed, so its a good first step. Resveratrol for example has been a hot research topic for quite some time. It reverses, halts or modifies some aspects of aging. Its similar in impact to calorie restriction, which is a long recognised way of slowing aging.

One thing I would want to see in aging reversal is telemere restoration. Any real anti-aging would have to do that at a minimum, as well as switch on or off specific genes which is what they are looking at. Now its entirely possible that they can restore telemeres using these methods, but they have yet to say so or provide evidence.

Aging reversal would also require some way to restore DNA, both in the cell nucleus and the mitochondria.

Bob and Scarecrow like this.
  6. leela

leela Slow But Hopeful

Couchland, USA
    Never mind the population problem, and the rapidly decreasing quality of life on the socio-economic level...why would we want to extend our lives exactly?

I did think, when I saw the article, though, that it could possibly be a good treatment for us since we are all so darn inflamed and overly oxidated.

Bob likes this.
  7. Revel

Revel Senior Member

Picturing a world of Benjamin Buttons :nervous: . . .

leela likes this.
  8. JPV

JPV ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs

See more popular forum discussions.