• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

After getting better I contracted Influenza Virus - bedridden again

My fatigue and hypersensitivity got a lot better within the last years, my pain not. It just happened, i didnt try fancy meds anymore.

Now I got fever, chills and extreme fatigue again. It feels like then, but this time a md tested me positive for influenza b.

What can i do to get rid of it?

Classical route is tamiflu, but I think I will not dare it after having had overreactions to meds for so long.

Any more ideas?

xrunner

In my case, when I fell ill I tested positive for influenza A but it was other pathogens that made me sick. If you don't have respiratory symptoms (I'm not qualified, so I could well be wrong) I'd challenge the assumption that influenza was the cause of it all. On the other hand, I'd get also tested for a whole range of other intracellular infections typically mycoplasmas, lyme, chlamydia pneumonia, rickettsias etc. which can also cause symptoms.

Cheesus

How long have you been bedridden for? Are you bedridden simply because you're sick with the flu, or is a proper relapse?

Honestly if you haven't been that way for long then I would suggest drinking a lot of fluids; taking very good care of yourself; not pushing yourself physical or emotionally; good, healthful food; and meditation. Just try to remain calm and let your immune system do what it is supposed to. After all, you do have the flu!

If you're having a proper relapse then I think you've asked the million dollar question. Either way, the above advice probably applies still.

rosie26

Just to add something else that I have found very helpful, it's an old-fashioned remedy but still works :) if you have a very sore head that is hot and feverish - apply a cold face cloth that has been folded twice and lay it over your forehead - keep turning to get the cold side every 4 minutes or so. If you do this for a good 4 hours you will notice a big difference by then. You'll be amazed how much heat comes out onto the face cloth.

Hope you feel better soon.