• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

After almost 2 years - still struggling with my protocol

Moshi

@Johnmac - thanks for your clever post!
I am doing better, recovering slowly from my recent, and very severe, relapse. I am still on a basic methylation-protocol, although I've decreased the doses somewhat. Supporting methylation, especially when having confirmed genetic defects impacting on it, always made perfect sense to me. I am nowhere near giving up on methylation-supps although my improvemets since starting them are modest.
Many of you have pointed out that supporting methylation, among other things, is just a piece of the puzzle. Seriously addressing the underlying causes + other triggers of ME is what is needed to make a fundamental difference in our health status. When I first came down with ME almost four years ago my insticts told me that my problem was chronic pathogens and a failing immunesystem, my initial desire was to be properly treated with antibiotics and/or anti-virals. That never happened....and I gradually got lost in the thick, dense, dark forest of information and opinions on ME and how it should be addressed. Now I feel like I've come full circle thanks to several very smart PR-people, back to the root of the problem!
@Johnmac highlights the fact that many alternative therapies and strategies of functional medicine very often appear cult-like! I certainly feel this is true and very counter-productive as there is almost always something valuable to take home from these therapies, but the cult-like aspects will prevent these strategies/therapies to cross over to "conventional" medicine, and picked up by (conventional) research. And people left on their own to treat their chronic and incurable diseases easily get caught up in one of these paradigms shutting themselves off to other options.
I am personally staying away from chelators for a good while now. Things like frequent dose ALA never gave me a boost, my earlier chelation may have been to some long-term benefit, but it's very difficult to tell.
I supplement with (nascent) Iodine at a very low dose, say 1-1,5 mg/week.
Any comments / suggestions on that + other things are welcome!

Ice

Dear Moshi,

Being homozygous for MTHFR 1298C(if expressed) might mean that you are unable to fight with intracellural bacterias/viruses/etc.
I am also homzygous for MTHFR 1298C and having Lyme and coinfections.I built up my own methylation protocol on my own and it was effective(The lab results showed it!) (and I set my my diagnosis as well) (It was told by Jess Armine.) So I have to tell you that you might not need lots of folate and B12 ! 800mcg M. Folate is probably sufficient.

Finally I bought a Rife Machine for hunting down the intruders. Check for Lyme and CLP, Mycos, etc.

http://ilads.org/ is a good starting point.

Johnmac

@Moshi, seems we agree on a lot. I imagine a lot of people who go thru the mill for long enough will end up learning the same things.

I've just been reading up on iodine, & the people who've written the books tend to recommend Iodoral or Lugols rather than Nascent. Tho you may well know that...

@Ice, might the above apply (perhaps to a lesser extent) to MTHFR 1298C heteros like me? Don't need lots of B12 & folate? What's a rife machine? (I don't have Lyme according to medical testing.)

Valentijn

Being homozygous for MTHFR 1298C(if expressed) might mean that you are unable to fight with intracellural bacterias/viruses/etc.
Why would it mean that? It's very common to be homozygous for MTHFR A1298C, or have similar reduction in MTHFR function due to other SNP variations.