• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

AfME: Capita Boss interviewed by patient with ME over PIP. BBC One Show.

Firestormm

Watch volunteer Natalie on The One Show
15 May, 2014

Action for M.E. media case study volunteer Natalie Fagan-Brown was praised for ‘pulling no punches’ when she questioned Capita boss Dr Stephen Duckworth on The One Show on BBC 1 TV yesterday.

Natalie, 37, was given the chance of questioning fellow wheelchair user Dr Duckworth, boss of one of the two private firms hired to provide assessments of people applying for the new Personal Independence Payment welfare support, in front of the cameras at her home.

Capita and Atos Healthcare, the other firm providing PIP assessments, have admitted to a 90,000 backlog of outstanding PIP cases.

At the time of filming Natalie, who was diagnosed with M.E. last year, had waited 104 days for a PIP assessment.

You can watch last night’s episode of The One Show on BBC iPlayer now and for the next five days. Natalie’s piece is roughly 15 minutes in.

Esther12

Nice one Natalie. Some sharp comments there... don't think I'd have had the gumption tbh.

In the discussion after, the govt. said the reforms "reflect today's understanding of disability better than the old..."

Why does no-one ever call them on this? So many politicians churn that out, and I'd love to see them quizzed on exactly what remarkable developments there have been in our understanding of disability.