• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

affects of nightshade solanines re: paleo & intolerance

boolybooly

I am linking a research paper I have found very helpful in explaining my own reactions to giving up eating nightshades due to food intolerance. Kind of a frying pan to fire experience.

Its both a research level discussion and a personal symptom so I thought this forum was appropriate. I also blogged my experiences and discussion and have made an appropriate post in the intolerance forum.

"Effect of solanine on the membrane potential of mitochondria in HepG2 cells and [Ca2+]i in the cells."
Shi-Yong Gao, Qiu-Juan Wang, Physiology Section, Department of Pharmacy, China Pharmaceutical University, Nanjing, 210009, Jiangsu Province, China
http://www.wjgnet.com/1007-9327/full/v12/i21/3359.htm

The TLDR version is that nightshade solanines can open the inner mitochondrial membrane permeability transition pore, depolarising the membrane, causing calcium efflux and raising apoptosis rates, which is being studied in relation to cancer therapy.

This kind of activity may have relevance in the paleo debate.

Conversely from my personal experience with ME CFIDS, nightshades can cause inflammatory reactions but excluding them can lead to muscular problems due to changes in calcium equilibrium and less effective killing of infected cells resulting in higher rates of viral recurrence.

I have discussed it on my blog.
http://boolyblog.blogspot.co.uk/2017/05/no-more-potatos-nightshade-alkaloid.html

Last edited:

boolybooly

I want to apologise if anyone clicked the blog link and found a garbled mess, for some reason google blogger decided to rearrange all the paragraphs in the blog randomly, just to make me look like an incoherent lunatic, obviously.

I sorted it out but my edits changed the URL in the process so any bookmarks would now be broken. I doubt anyone did but just in case FYI. Above link has been edited and works now.

Sorry, blame google !