1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Nitric oxide and its possible implication in ME/CFS (Part 1 of 2)
Andrew Gladman explores the current and historic hypotheses relating to nitric oxide problems in ME/CFS. Part 1 of a 2-part series puts nitric oxide under the microscope and explores what it is, what it does and why it is so frequently discussed in the world of ME/CFS. Part 1 focuses...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Aerobic vs Anaerobic respiration in ME/CFS--from Serg1942

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS Discussion' started by Sushi, Apr 18, 2013.

1. Sushi

Sushi Moderator and Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    Posted with permission from the author who is in medical school (English is his second language):

Enid and merylg like this.
  2. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    One thing I might add is that several pathways likely to be active in CFS and ME might produce peroxynitrite, massively increasing oxidative stress, and perhaps an initial trigger for dropping glutathione to critical levels which are hard to replace if you have a genetic defect limiting glutathione synthesis.

What a lot of hypotheses miss though is explaining the high prevalence of EDS. To me this points to gut involvement, with increased bacterial and other toxins entering the body, overwhelming and further depleting liver glutathione and other detox mechanisms.

Further, glutathione is critical to mitochondrial function. Its needed to fold aconitase, a critical mitochondrial enzyme, and probably other enzymes too. Any enzyme that requires folding to a final shape (conformation) and is then imported to the mitochondria might be defective. I know that aconitase is a nuclear protein that is imported into mitochondria, but I bet there are others. Deficiency in functioning enzymes (but not necessarily quantity of total enzyme) will not affect the mitochondria much at rest, but will limit the maximum energy available.
    Moxie and merylg like this.
  3. Allyson

Allyson *****

Australia, Melbourne

Thanks for the post Alex; could you say what you mean by EDS please?

a
    merylg likes this.
  4. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Allyson Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, in all its variations including those not discovered yet: EDS.
    Allyson and merylg like this.
  5. Allyson

Allyson *****

Australia, Melbourne

Great thanks Alex, yes I think i has been overlooked to to a great extent; I understand they are re- classifyinghte types again too as more people get diagnosed; i think they used to think you had to be hypermobile to have it and that is now aparently ot the case so many people who havee stiff muscles for whatever reason have been excluded, erroneously.

thanks again,
    cheers
    Ally

See more popular forum discussions.