Lipkin's Monster ME/CFS Study: Microbes, Immunity & Big Data
The Microbe Discovery Project outlines an ambitious new study by top researchers that has collected patient samples, but needs desperately funds to complete the work.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Advice on Leaky Gut

Discussion in 'The Gut: De Meirleir & Maes; H2S; Leaky Gut' started by BadgerGB7, Dec 17, 2015.

1. BadgerGB7

BadgerGB7

What advice can people give me. Here is what is going on. One day my gut is good and I start feeling full and hungry but then I wake up and its bad again. Should I avoid all whole grains and beans? I get a tingling in my brain as well. I take 2 probiotics and last night I ate beans and then I pooped a decent amount but usually it is very small. It seems like I'm on a roller coaster going up and down. I take a lot of glutamine and my gut heals but then goes backwards. I'm wondering if it is the grains right now. I don't eat meat or dairy either. My urine is also yellow as well.

My roof of my mouth is yellow as well.

It is also hard controlling how much I eat when I don't feel full. I try to eat smaller meals but somedays I overeat. I feel as though I will never get over this. What is the most helpful thing you can offer and has worked for you?

2. SB_1108

SB_1108 Senior Member

From my knowledge of leaky gut, you should be eating meat.

This is a good protocol to follow to heal your gut - The Four Rs:
    http://www.amymyersmd.com/2013/01/heal-your-gut-heal-yourself/

As far as digestive enzyme - NOW Super Enzymes are the best, in my opinion.

Ninan and Old Bones like this.
  3. Old Bones

Old Bones Senior Member

Gut issues are certainly challenging -- I've been struggling for years. I'm currently a member of a Gut Health Meetup Group organized by a holistic nutritionist and a psychologist -- mothers of children with severe digestive issues. Both are trained GAPS diet practitioners. This is the diet they are following in their households, because they believe it is most effective in healing the gut. The ultimate goal is to be able to eat more, not fewer, foods. I say "ultimate", because the introductory phases are very restrictive -- no grains (whether refined, or not), legumes, starches, sweeteners (except raw honey), dairy (except fermented, as tolerated). You mentioned not eating meat. The medical doctor who developed the GAPS diet believes meat (and specifically meat broths) are essential for healing a leaky gut. Having said that, I have a friend who healed her gut while on a strict vegan diet, so we are all unique.

Other group participants are following the Specific Carbohydrate Diet (SCD), Wahl's protocol (often recommended for MS patients), and Autoimmune Protocol (AIP) -- all variations on a similar theme. I've been on the GAPS introduction diet for six months, with some good, and some not so good things to report. First, I almost immediately lost the bloat that made me look permanently seven months pregnant. And, my joint issues related to Rheumatoid Arthritis improved. I was also able to cut back my dose of medication for Hypothyroidism. And, I lost a lot of weight -- too much, actually.

The best thing about a restrictive diet is it helps to identify what the problem really is, or at least might be.
    Adopting the GAPS diet confirmed my suspicion of Small Intestine Bacterial Overgrowth (SIBO), and also that histamine intolerance contributes to many of my unpleasant sensations. But, being too restrictive in one's diet long-term brings its own risks -- the reason I'm starting to add in a few starches. I ultimately realized I'm eating too few carbohydrates.

Yellow urine is often due to not drinking enough liquids, although you probably already know this. And, the fact that the roof of your mouth is also yellow is confusing, and concerning.

The only thing I can suggest is taking a look at the information on-line regarding the above-mentioned diets. Perhaps one of them stands out as something you'd be willing to try. Record what you are eating, and how your body responds. Realize that you are in control, and if what you are doing isn't working, try something else. Even the enthusiastic GAPS diet practitioners I know acknowledge the benefits of customizing any dietary protocol to meet the specific needs of the individual.

Ninan likes this.
  4. ahmo

ahmo Senior Member

Northcoast NSW, Australia
    I've had good results w/ GAPS diet. Nothing is quick. There are dozens of GAPS blogs, yahoo groups.

Ninan likes this.
  5. Hip

Hip Senior Member

"Good" and "bad" are not very descriptive.

6. PandaDarling

PandaDarling

UK
    @BadgerGB7 Are you a vegan? I am too. I would be very hesitant with people telling me I 'need to eat meat' to cure a gut problem (given that humans are not designed to consume dairy once they have been weaned as babies). I can get upset by beans and grains sometimes too. When my stomach is bad I eat gentle things like pasta and oats. Also good fats like peanut butter and avocados. Often I live of bananas too if my tummy is playing up.
    Panda x

See more popular forum discussions.