• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Advice from Gut experts please!

trickthefox

Hi i've had my recent metemetrix lab results back and am wondering what to do to try and normalise my gut flora. I am convinced that my gut has everything to do with my personal condition because when i starve myself for about 3 days my symptoms seem to
disappear
bacterioids/clostidia/streotimyces all within refference range

Mycoplasma spp - verging on low

prevotella spp. verging on low

fusobacteria - very high

lactobaccilus - within reference
bifidobacterium - within reference

E coli - verging on low

No opportunistic bacteriaVery slight yeast, probably from food - non pathogenicNow i've been taking bio-kult - 4 capsules a day and following the GAPS diet.I also noticed that when i was treating a parasite infection last year (E.Histoyltica which may have caused this whole mess) my symptoms completley vanished for 2 weeks following a course of tinidazole and doxycycline. They then dissapeared again after taking another course earlier this year, but then a week after i stopped the course, symtoms came back, probably worse than before the tinidazole - so long term therapy with tinidazole is out the window.

However it is encouraging as it leads me to belive my problem is to do with dysbosis. The problem is i dont know how to correct the bloody thing! ive tried paleo for a year and a half - cutting out all grains/dairy/fruit/sugar etc. but am still sick, and am still getting bad days on the GAPS diet, whilst taking the probiotics - i also took kefir for 6 months without consistent results. I have tried things like psylium and FOS too, to no avail. Very confused. If someone might help based on this information that would be great!my symptoms are -brain fogfatigue which leaves me bed boundpuffy skin in face which dissapears after starvationbloatinggasunability to digest carbohydratesi have also ruled out celiac disease and allergy.

Plum

I am not the best to help with these issues but will raise a few points that you could think about:

I think E.coli is hard to increase due to lack of available supplements - there was a lady who posted about a month ago on here that she'd seen a Dr in South Africa who gave her some.

Are you completely parasite clear?

Consider changing probiotics at least to get a variation in strains. I like Optibac - only ones that work for me.

Look into the 4R program: http://eastwesthealing.com/the-4r-gut-healing-program/ look the guy up on youtube he has some clips on this too and recommends a research paper which is good too.

You say you did Paleo and GAPS. I shall share my little story:

Been doing Paleo for 4 years now. Tried GAPS. 4 months ago got really ill with Gastritis - heartburn, nausea, throwing up blood etc etc. I have now realised that I am allergic to eggs. And that I need to have potatoes with every meal but only a small portion. If I don't have potatoes I have serious blood sugar crashes, if I have too much my gastritis symptoms are worse.

So, despite following things as I believed I should do I wasn't finding what worked for me. Now things are starting to improve slowly.

It's really frustrating as you never quite know what will work for you. A food allergy test can help a bit there and then it's really trial and error.

trickthefox

Thanks plum! yep I also did a big course of antibiotics to get rid of blasto hominis just incase they were the cause of my problems - all parasites and protoza are now gone - but the antibiotics made my food intollerence issues even worse sadly - probably as a result of worsening my allready parasite damaged gut.
I can get hold of some mutaflor here in the UK through breakspear hospital, so i may do that - i have also heard that Soil based probiotics may be good - any theories there?in terms of potatoes - they seem to make me much worse - but im fine with eggsits crazy how different we are all with this illness - it really is testement to how much of an umbrella term CFS really is

Ripley

Have you looked into Resistant Starch yet? The 100s of n=1 results are extremely compelling...

Resistant Starch: American Gut Project Real Results And Comparison (Very Big News)

See our thread...

The Resistant Starch Challenge: Is It The Key We've Been Looking For?

In a nutshell, it feeds the good bacteria and sweeps out the bad. Keep in mind that there are other sources of resistant starch (dehydrated green plantains or plantain flour, for instance) besides potato starch if you don't do well with potatoes.

And even potato starch is usually very tolerable since the nightshade compounds have all been peeled and washed away during the starch making process — it is a very pure source of resistant starch.

Last edited:

Plum

Yeah, potatoes don't work for a lot of people. It's just the tweak to the diet that's worked well for me. I still can't get my head around being allergic to eggs.

I don't personally like the Brakespeare but the E coli nissle does have a lot of good research so worth a try.

Would've thought that having a confirmed parasite infection could take years to recover from the damage caused.

Have you done an allergy test or elimination diet?

Robb Wolf and Chris Kresser talk resistant starch: http://hwcdn.libsyn.com/p/7/2/3/723...89221242&hwt=87565051649d1db1b492b237228e256f

I did listen to another podcast by someone who's had their gut microbiome tested and said they have a certain strain of gut bacteria that responds well to resistant starch. As we don't al have the same bacteria it can be hit and miss for what works for us.

I did look into soil based probiotics but decided against them - will have to dig up why.

end

Might be wise to take note of anxiety symptoms when starting Mutaflor. It has coincided with an increase in anxiety symptoms in some PR members