• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Advice for tick bite... taking doxycycline 2 week dose

learner2life

David Pain
A couple of days ago I got bit by the female lone star tick. A small rash ensued around the bite and started doxycycline around the 72 hour mark. 100mg twice per day. They did take a blood test but the tests are so inaccurate that I wonder about the validity of them. I haven't gotten the results. The fact that there is a slow healing rash means I did contract some type of borrelial infection. So any advice on what to do?

From what I've read 100 mg X 2 per day doesn't sound like its enough. My nausea is hardly noticeable now, I could tolerate a higher dose. I'm 9 days into the 2 week dose.

Is there a website that people order doxycycline from in the states? I guess the best thing to do would be increase the dose of doxycyline for another 6-8 weeks on a higher dose and finish up with possibly amoxicillin or another antibiotic. I'm a little disappointed honestly. Knowing that the antibiotics will kill almost all of them but still a minute percentage of the spirochete should survive discourages me.

I am under alot of stress right now and I read that can decrease the effectiveness of the antibiotics. Should I be taking it easy? Also, my intestinal health is another issue. Has anyone heard of undecenoic acid and candidase interferring with the antibiotic as well as monolaurin?
Thank You.
David

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Perhaps the best thing to do right now is to get to a Lyme literate doctor pronto. If you are infected, getting the right early treatment is very important.

Best wishes,
Sushi

svetoslav80

I would do the same if I were you. I think there's no need to take doxycycline for more than 2 weeks but I think the dose should be higher. Not sure though so you'd better consult with a doctor. About the blood test, if we're talking about lyme, I think there are no antibodies for at least a few weeks so the test will show nothing, but again, better consult with a doctor.

learner2life

David Pain
I know. I think the test would have to be the western blot testing as opposed to the elisa test. I sure hope it is. I think regardless if I find a lyme literate doctor or not is go ahead and take a higher dose of doxycycline. That is what I have been seeing most people do. I don't know too much about how the borrelial sphirochete's work honestly. At what point should someone take an intracellular antibiotic. I assume that is for more advanced cases than for people just bitten. It sounds like amoxicillin works really well. Thanks.
David

August59

Daughters High School Graduation
I just noticed the new forum doesn't show peoples locations anymore if in fact they had applied one to their profile. I definitely feel like a 2 week regime of doxycycline is warrantied especially if you do not take many antibiotics. The dose seems to be the questionable thing. If you are really concerned about it then locate a LLMD and get testing done through a reputable testing facility. If you happen to be near Washington, DC then there is a Dr. Jemsek located there that is really good. He saved a friend of mines life due to the negilence of his primary doctors. He ended up with the shunt and the heart line for direct injection of antibiotics, but it has been 3 years and he is doing really good and is at 95% or better as long as he keeps his diet good.

learner2life

David Pain
Thank You. I am currently in a small town called Rattan, Ok. I visited my Mother's ranch and to help with what I could of small repairs to it. I think I got the tick from leaning on a tree while trimming it. I am part indian, had to drive 70 miles to get to the clinic but they seem to follow the cdc guidelines and weren't too worried about it. What bothers me the most is my life has been on damage control for the last 4 years trying not to get any worse. This was what I didn't want to happen. I guess I should have been much more cautious. That is great to hear about your friend. I will try to find an LLMD in my area. The odd thing is most people that I talk to around here get bit by ticks and they say it just goes away, no rash or anything. I guess this means I'm unlucky.