• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Advice for healthy older adults: Get the new shingles vaccine

Gondwanaland

aaron_c

I got shingles recently and the pain and itching were both horrible...

Monolaurin saved me. It brought the pain down from stabbing and horrible to just dull and ignorable, and it brought the itching down to ignorable as well.

Lynn

Will this be covered by Medicare? That's the problem with the current vaccine. It's not covered by insurance until you are in your 60s.

CCC

So if you've had chicken pox 10 years ago (as an adult!), is there any point in having a shingles vaccine?

junkcrap50

If your immune system is so weak (due to age) that it can't mount a response to the reactivated chicken pox known as shingles, then how can it mount a proper response to the vaccine?

Last edited:
I came across an article about this vaccine, written by an independent, unbiased drug policy researcher. The drug company that makes this vaccine has been marketing it very heavily - big bucks involved! It is a very expensive vaccine. After going through the drug company information with a fine tooth comb, his conclusion was that only 1 person out of 35 will benefit from it, plus there is a 1 in 7 chance that you will suffer severe side effects.

Obviously everyone must make their own decision as to whether this is worth it. However, since my ME was triggered by a tetanus shot, I have decided to never have any more shots of any kind.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dan_USAAZ

I came across an article about this vaccine, written by an independent, unbiased drug policy researcher. The drug company that makes this vaccine has been marketing it very heavily - big bucks involved! It is a very expensive vaccine. After going through the drug company information with a fine tooth comb, his conclusion was that only 1 person out of 35 will benefit from it, plus there is a 1 in 7 chance that you will suffer severe side effects.

Obviously everyone must make their own decision as to whether this is worth it. However, since my ME was triggered by a tetanus shot, I have decided to never have any more shots of any kind.

Could you provide a link to the article?
Thanks!