1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
ME/CFS and Beating the Clock
For Jody Smith, the ticking of a clock was enough at one time to chase her back to her bed. But with the passage of time, she has been able to reclaim her living room ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Adrenals or POTS/OI (Orthostatic Intolerance)?

Discussion in 'Problems Standing: Orthostatic Intolerance; POTS' started by Lotus97, May 4, 2013.

1. Lotus97

Lotus97 Senior Member

United States
    I don't know a lot about POTS/Orthostatic Intolerance, but I'm trying to figure out what's causing my symptoms. When I spend too much time at the computer I experience anxiety and heart palpitations. Could this just be from my adrenals or could I have POTS/OI?

2. Sushi

Sushi Moderator and Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    Lotus97

Have you tried the poor man's tilt table test? POTS patients have very specific responses to standing and you could probably see if you have POTS this way.

Sushi

3. caledonia

caledonia

Cincinnati, OH, USA
    Sensitive to EMFs? What happens if you sit up reading a book or watching tv (not near the computer)?

4. Dreambirdie

Dreambirdie work in progress

N. California
    How do you do this?

5. Lotus97

Lotus97 Senior Member

United States
    The only time I really sit in a chair for long periods of time is at the computer, but I thought the EMFs were just for the old kind of TV/computer screens (CRT maybe?) and not the newer LCD screens.

6. adreno

adreno 3% neanderthal

Tundras of Europa
    Everything electric has a magnetic field. But yeah, old CRT screens are probably worse since they use more power.

7. Sea

Sea Senior Member

NSW Australia
    Sit or lay down quietly for 5-10mins
    Take heart rate and blood pressure readings
    Stand up and keep as still as possible - No flexing calf muscles or weight shifting as these actions help to push blood around and compensate for any autonomic dysfunction
    Take heart and blood pressure readings every minute for at least 10 minutes unless you get enough info earlier.

It is normal for the heart rate to rise by up to 25 beats. If it rises by 30 or more, and/or reaches 120 it meets the criteria for POTS.

It is normal for blood pressure to rise slightly or stay the same when you stand. If it drops (I'm not sure of the criteria for how much) it is considered orthostatic hypotension which would give you a diagnosis of OI (orthostatic intolerance).
    Further investigation would be needed to determine whether it would be NMH (neurally mediated hypotension) or whether it was another form of OI

Also note symptoms - nausea, lightheadedness, dizziness, sweating, pallor, feeling awful...

Be sure to have someone with you as this test can result in a faint even if you don't normally faint. We don't usually force ourselves to stand still if we have "issues" with standing still!

ahimsa and Lotus97 like this.
  8. BadBadBear

BadBadBear Senior Member

Rocky Mountains

See more popular forum discussions.