• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Adrenals and probiotics relation

zzz0r

Anyone here found that probiotics supplementation could cause his/her adrenals to crash even with histamine degrading bacteria?

drob31

It seems as thought HPA-axis issues must be resolved first before other things can be. Even Chris Kresser believes this.

Gondwanaland

Gondwanaland, I'm getting a bad crash on a probiotic at the moment (customprobiotics d-lactate-free). If it's due to immunostimulation, should it pass with time?
It is more likely due to histamine-lowering effect.
No effects I had from probx were permanent - neither good or bad. The one that lasted longer (about 1 month) was C. butyricum (bad: joint pain, reduced motility, lowered energy) and I took 1 pill 1x or 2x only.

outdamnspot

It is more likely due to histamine-lowering effect.
No effects I had from probx were permanent - neither good or bad. The one that lasted longer (about 1 month) was C. butyricum (bad: joint pain, reduced motility, lowered energy) and I took 1 pill 1x or 2x only.

Did non-histamine-lowering probiotics not induce the same kind of 'crash' in you? Do you have a list of strains which *do* lower histamine? There were a couple of others on my list I was thinking of experimenting with if this one doesn't help, but I'm not sure if they would make me worse too.

jepps

Did non-histamine-lowering probiotics not induce the same kind of 'crash' in you? Do you have a list of strains which *do* lower histamine? There were a couple of others on my list I was thinking of experimenting with if this one doesn't help, but I'm not sure if they would make me worse too.

I´m not Gondwanaland, but this probiotic is with minimal count of histamine and lactate: http://fixyourgut.com/gutpro-recomended-probiotic/ and without prebiotics

outdamnspot

the lists in this thread are helpful
I don't intend taking histamine-lowering strains only again. I do need histamine for getting up in the morning, for good mood and for gut motility.

Hi Gondwana, do you know much about Saccharomyces_boulardii?

According to the wiki page (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saccharomyces_boulardii), it shouldn't be taken by immunocompromised patients, so do you know if it's safe to trial with CFS?

I took one capsule before bed last night. Interestingly, I got strong acute reactions to probiotics -- I have a lot of very severe anxiety that almost borders on psychosis sometimes (derealization, cognitive inflexibility, irrational fear etc.). When I woke up today, I felt calmer than in a long time and it's like my thinking becomes more normal/flexible again -- I feel like all the excessive adrenaline is being turned down. There is also worsened fatigue etc. but I don't feel 'sick' and inflamed the way I did on the D-Lactate-Free probiotic.

Do you believe it would be safe to keep trialing it?

Gondwanaland

Do you believe it would be safe to keep trialing it?
My only positive experience with it was the 1st time I took it. It felt like it lowered histamines in a good way (pretty much like you described). Subsequent times felt like it lowered histamine too much. So my advice based on that would be to take it once in a blue moon.

outdamnspot

My only positive experience with it was the 1st time I took it. It felt like it lowered histamines in a good way (pretty much like you described). Subsequent times felt like it lowered histamine too much. So my advice based on that would be to take it once in a blue moon.

Yeah, interestingly enough, I got hit by the same low-histamine symptoms today (day#2) -- constipated, and couldn't get out of bed.

Do you find that there's a relationship between histamine and 'adrenal fatigue' for you? i.e. does lowering/raising histamine affect your adrenals?