1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
In Brief: The Adrenal Glands and ME
The second in a new series of ‘In Brief’ articles, where Andrew Gladman provides a helpful insight into the science behind fairly common topics, exploring how they relate to ME/CFS. This time he discusses the adrenal glands and why they can be such a talking point ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Adrenal treatment

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS Discussion' started by Leon, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Hanna

Hanna Senior Member

Jerusalem, Israel
    Thanks Heapsreal. I was using DHEA transdermally and had to stop for a while (waiting for my supply).Perhaps, I should wait and resume the "preg-experiment" when I'll be able technically to apply also the DHEA?
  2. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    no right or wrong answer. The best thing to do is experiment using one or the other then both etc but stick to the low and slow thing.
    Hanna likes this.
  3. Aerose91

Aerose91 Senior Member

I was on the highest psyiological doses of hydrocortisone, Pregnenolone and DHEA for about 6 months for severe adrenal insufficiency. Its a very sensitive balancing act. For all things adrenal fatigue, I reference this book, it's the best book ever written about it. Talks about hormones too:

http://www.drlam.com/book/
  4. Leon

Leon

Some really helpful replies - thank you all so much. I've only just seen them all. I thought I would receive a notification, but since I didn't I hadn't checked the thread...

I've ordered some Nutricology ACE, and some 10mg pregnenolone. My breathing is out of kilter at the moment, and I have constant anxiety, so I chose to stay away from the whole glandulars. My electrolyte balance is all off. I do indeed have aldosterone problems according to the flash light test. Adding in salt has been helpful, and I get along better without eating potassium rich foods.

My thyroid isn't good, as per testing. I also have low body temperature.

I'm currently too ill to work, but it's surprising how stressful trying to get better is!
    I'm trying to add in magnesium, but the oil made my muscle spasms worse. I put this down to greater activity across the Na/K channels; specifically, influx of K into the cell, which was lowering serum K and throwing the balance of Na/K off. Adding salt seems to be helping with tolerance.
    I have mercury poisoning, so I have long suspected that my cortisol/aldosterone problems are both caused by my 21 beta hydroxylase be sequestered. How did you test whether your levels were normal? (I suspect this was deduced by whether the hormones themselves were low?)

I do crash about 5pm. I feel anxious; my vision is blurry; and I often feel sick.

I was under the impression that pregnenolone was twice daily. Is your decision purely based on your cortisol pattern?
    I was taking 3000mg 3 x per day until yesterday, but my breathing seems to be getting worse. It may be coincidence and not an effect of increasing the Vit C; however, I wonder if I've become sensitive to corn. I may try again with a cassava root Vit C or something similar.
    Have you read this thread: http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/anxiety-ammonia-and-the-nmda-receptor.1460/ . On page 3, Lotus97 makes reference to pregnenolone enhancing NMDA function, which may cause the overstimulation.

Leon
  5. stridor

stridor Senior Member

@Leon
    My story parallels yours to some extent. Mercury toxic and lost adrenals, thyroid and low testosterone. The endocrine system takes a beating for sure.
    I did all the ACE and liposomal Vit C, tried pregnenolone and DHEA.
    In the end, I had to replace hormones directly in order to move forward. I am not sure where you are at with all of this but my only regret is not doing it sooner. I could have done with a bit more adrenal function and might have had that if I had bailed them out sooner.
    I have to stress dose hydrocortisone from time-to-time as it is now. brad
  6. bertiedog

bertiedog Senior Member

Just to say my adrenals were too far gone too to heal and I need 6mg Prednisolone daily plus the occasional 2.5mg h/c late afternoon. The steroids not only help me to exercise gentle and have some sort of life but also to take dessicated thyroid for my Hashimotos which also helps me enormously.

I have been taking steroids now since 2002 and no real side effects apart from slightly over-wrinkled skin but I am 65 years old now!

Pam
  7. Aerose91

Aerose91 Senior Member

My adrenals were so bad i was on 20mg hydrocortisone, 60mg Pregnenolone and 50mg DHEA. It still took me 3 months on that protocol to be able to walk to my car. That was with just adrenal fatigue, well before i ever got M.E., so i came into this disease with badly damaged adrenals already

See more popular forum discussions.