Phoenix Rising: The Gift That Keeps on Giving All Year Long
This holiday season Jody Smith turns her eyes to the people of Phoenix Rising and gives thanks for you all ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Adrenal test

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS Discussion' started by naoise, Aug 17, 2015.

1. naoise

naoise Senior Member

hi

I just got my test results and the morning one came back very very high at >110.

These are the results:
    Sample 1: >110
    Sample 2: 12.69
    Sample 3: 6.62
    Sample 4: 3.31

What does that high morning one mean? I'm presuming being that high cannot be good!

2. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    What are the reference ranges?

What lab did the test?

3. naoise

naoise Senior Member

@Ema The reference ranges are:
    7.25-32.56
    2.76-11.31
    1.28-7.45
    0.83-3.85

The lab was Genova diagnostics

4. gregh286

gregh286 Senior Member

Londonderry, Northern Ireland.
    jees....i thought i was high @40.
    might be worthwhile to do a confirmation adrenal test..
    does your fatigue lessen as the day progresses?

5. naoise

naoise Senior Member

It's strange!

I find I get exhausted at around 3 onwards but then it picks up again at around 8/9.

Is there anything inca do to help? Diet, supplements etc?

6. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    OK, so you're too high at *all* points of the day.

Is there any chance that the sample could have been contaminated?

Do you fit the profile for high cortisol, more so than low cortisol (realizing that there are some overlapping symptoms)?
    http://www.lifeextension.com/Magazine/2011/9/Reducing-the-Risks-of-High-Cortisol/Page-01

I agree that it would be worthwhile to do a second test, possibly with a different company like Canary Club/ZRT, to confirm the results before embarking on a program to reduce cortisol levels.

There are many things you can do to address high cortisol, both supplements and lifestyle changes to reduce stress. But I think it's important to make sure that the results are replicable first.

7. naoise

naoise Senior Member

@Ema probabky yes in that u have constancy sugar and carbohydrate cravings and cannot go more than a few days without sugar or a carb binge it's horrible.

8. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member

Mid-Ohio Valley, United States
    A drop at 3pm is something that a lot of people experience. Totally non-research-oriented answer, but I consider it a sign of terrible fatigue. I also pick up in the evening. Not uncommon.

Your lab results, however, are uncommon. I second a re-test! That is crazy high.

-J

9. naoise

naoise Senior Member

Maybe but I have got a lot of tests done with this lab and I would trust them.

10. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member

Mid-Ohio Valley, United States
    I'm not saying that the lab is a bad lab. I'd even say get it done by the same people. Anyone can accidentally contaminate a sample.... if it still says the same thing, you'll know for sure that something's up.

11. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    All labs can make mistakes though and it's possible that the samples got contaminated somehow. It's not a dig at Genova.

They might even cut you a deal on a second test (though I'd really suggest a different company) if your doctor requests a confirmation redo.

12. drob31

drob31 Senior Member

No results surprise me now. If there is *something* messing with your hpa-axis, it can literally go haywire. Hyper or hypo sensitive.

Also keep in mind, any sort of stress, or hpa-axis activation will spike your cortisol, and if it was spiked at that particular time, you could consider that abnormal.

See more popular forum discussions.