The 12th Invest in ME Research Conference June, 2017, Part 2
MEMum presents the second article in a series of three about the recent 12th Invest In ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

"Adrenal Fatigue" Poll

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS Discussion' started by Beyond, Jul 10, 2015.

?

If you have tested cortisol in saliva, blood or urine, it was...

1. Low or very low in urine

1 vote(s)
    5.3%
  2. Low or very low in saliva

10 vote(s)
    52.6%
  3. Low or very low in blood

3 vote(s)
    15.8%
  4. High in blood

2 vote(s)
    10.5%
  5. High in urine or saliva

2 vote(s)
    10.5%
  6. Normal in blood, urine or saliva

6 vote(s)
    31.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Beyond

Beyond Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!

Murcia, Spain
    Hey there people. I thought about making this poll about cortisol in saliva or urine. Mine is low, always, more so in saliva. Blood is high. Super strange uh? Now, I donĀ“t even know the validity of salivary/urinary cortisol as a biomarker as opposed to serum, but lets see what you guys got and see if a pattern develops. You can choose more than one option.

I know there is a thread for the adrenals already but I thought I could reach more people here. If needed, change the location of the thread.

There are as you know strong indications that CFS is related with some sort of "HPA axis" dysfunction, but that is no wonder since so many systems are affected. Nevertheless I am trying to conduct my little study, as usual... So many hours spent in google scholar took their toll... :D

2. helen1

helen1 Senior Member

Canada
    How about an option for people like me with low-average salivary cortisol?

3. Beyond

Murcia, Spain
    Darn it! I always put too scarce options in polls.

Hmm what is low average? Like lingering the lower limit?

4. Effi

Effi Senior Member

Europe
    @Beyond mine came out normal in both blood test and urine test (so I marked 'high' in your poll, I hope that's correct?)

I got the blood test via my GP. Then I went to a clinical biologist with loads of experience in biomarker testing, and he said cortisol via blood test is not reliable at all. He gave this example: you're in your GP's waiting room and another patient in the room is extremely annoying. Then your blood is drawn and your cortisol will be high (if you're usually normal) or normal (if you're usually low), just because someone got on your nerves right before. So he did another test on a 24h urine sample, which is supposed to be pretty reliable. Both came out completely normal.

Btw I'm doubtful about that HPA-axis theory. It doesn't seem to add up for my particular situation... A doctor has used it to try to push pills on me, although nothing that was ever tested points out that I have a problem in that area.

Beyond likes this.
  5. Beyond

Murcia, Spain
    Yeah, my bad, now there is an option for those that got normal ranges. @helen1

With high, I mean off the high chart.

It is significant having someone with totally normal cortisol. My adrenals are totally screwed lol

6. Effi

Effi Senior Member

Europe
    @Beyond, ok I changed my answer to 'normal'. I didn't know I was an exception... But then again, I usually am when it comes to anything medical so I guess it's not that exceptional ;)

7. AaroninOregon

AaroninOregon noob

Hippietown
    Are saliva tests considered reliable?

8. drob31

drob31 Senior Member

Mine has been all over the place. I believe adrenal fatigue, or more correctly, adrenal fatigue syndrome, which is a collection of symptoms, is a signaling issue from the hypothalamus, and could be caused by many things.

I've had normal saliva results, high saliva results when I was on t3, and low normal results.

Beyond likes this.
  9. barbc56

barbc56 Senior Member

Unless it's changed, blood tests are more accurate but saliva is valid for night testing.

Barb

AaroninOregon likes this.
  10. AaroninOregon

AaroninOregon noob

Hippietown
    Thanks @barbc56

11. drob31

drob31 Senior Member

I have seen accounts of people doing multiple a day blood draws for serum cortisol. Like 4x a day. Not conventional, but highly accurate...

12. Beyond

Murcia, Spain
    Low in saliva was what I expected as the prominent pattern... Thanks to all that contributed!

See more popular forum discussions.