• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Adrenal Cortex and Weight Gain?

Hi everyone,

I've searched and searched and can't seem to find anything relating the two but has anyone seen weight gain after starting adrenal cortex? I started Thorne's last week and am up 3 lbs. I've already gained 20lbs since getting sick and am desperate not to gain more. I don't know if it's hormonal fluctuation (it doesn't feel like water weight though) or the adrenal cortex but wanted to ask.

Thank you!

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
According to this site that contains information about Secondary Adrenal Insufficiency:

"The symptoms are related to the degree of cortisol deficiency, the underlying health of the individual, and the rate of reduction in cortisol level. The most common symptoms are severe fatigue, loss of appetite, weight loss, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, muscle weakness, irritability, and depression."

Maybe the Adrenal Cortex is increasing your cortisol level and causing weight gain?

Thanks. I hadn't thought of it upping my cortisol, esp as I have low cortisol all day. Could it be a hormonal effect from the glandular, I wonder?

Firefly_

I'm not taking adrenal cortex, but was started on Dexamethasone in September because I have no cortisol production and I've gained 35 lbs! My hunger and cravings are through the roof at night and the Drs have no answers for me (except for Ritalin which is a no go). Hoping someone has advice on this. Seeing an integrative dr in a few weeks so maybe...not too helpful I know but I'll ride in the boat with you.