Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Adopt a School Nurse

Discussion in 'Fundraising' started by Kina, Dec 21, 2014.

1. Kina

Kina

Sofa, UK
    I recently heard about this project. Very interesting and could be worthy of a donation or two.

http://www.immunedysfunction.org/pediatric.html

WillowJ, aimossy, Bob and 1 other person like this.
  2. taniaaust1

taniaaust1 Senior Member

Sth Australia
    Now that part concerns me. It has me wondering if GET is the recommendation in their manual? (Im having too much trouble with my connection to load up the links properly to try to find out). I couldnt support this unless I knew it wasnt. I love the idea thou to educate school nurses on ME/CFS. Ive read in the past that ME/CFS is the top cause of long term school absence as far as medical problems go.

3. Kina

Kina

Sofa, UK
    They are doing a lot of good work with this. This is a first as far as I can tell. Why dismiss something out of hand without even looking at the information. This is a bunch on well known ME/CFS doctors trying to get the word out to schools. Unfortunately, he donations have been dismal. If I were still a practicing RN, I would embrace this project and try to educate as many schools as possible. Children and adolescents are know to have a better recovery rate, educating and catching the issues early could only help.

Little Bluestem likes this.
  4. taniaaust1

taniaaust1 Senior Member

Sth Australia
    im not dismissing but Im just saying I couldnt support something like this without knowing this (if GET is being recommended or not to these) as I wouldnt want to be responsible for helping anything which could lead to harm.

This (people not knowing if that is going to be what is recommended in the manual or not), may be why they arent managing to get much in the way of donations from the ME/CFS community .. as educating school nurses is a great idea.

all may depend on what kind of "educating" they get about the illness. How they plan to help the child? What is their recommedations? We cant assume they arent recommending GET unless that is clear somewhere there. Those new to this illness are the most vulnerable ME/CFS people esp if children.

5. Kina

Kina

Sofa, UK
    From what I have read, they recognize that each child has unique needs and a school plan needs to be tailored to those needs. Any interventions are not tailored to GET at all, unless I am reading the wrong information, which I don't think I am. I have a daughter with Special Needs and all interventions were tailored to her needs as a unique student. This what they are doing here - this is David Bell, Ken Friedman and others making these recommendations.

Really why post something like you did without even reading about it. It's this kind of negativity that leads people into not even investigating and supporting. This is a brand new initiative. Maybe there are things to iron out, but children deserve the best interventions out there and I can tell a school nurse would know crap about ME/CFS unless they are given specific information. This is a chance for them to do so.

Why don't you look up their recommendations before posting that you can't support it. This is not the way these non-profits get donations.

6. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    Thanks for posting, Kina. It seems like an interesting project.
    Just reposting the links below, to encourage people to have a look at them.

You can read about the project and donate, at these links:
    http://www.immunedysfunction.org/pediatric.html
    https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/adopt-a-school-nurse

I can't find the full text of the document, but this is the table of contents:

And this is the promotional video:

Valentijn, Sushi and Kina like this.
  7. aimossy

aimossy Senior Member

This is a really clever idea for awareness raising in general and would be nice to see it happening as a doctor/ health professional awareness as well across all countries.
    I have used my money up for this year @Kina :( but if somehow remember this next year will try to make a donation. School nurses can make such a difference for kids and parents going through hell, especially when the school doesn't understand why your child isn't at school enough and it gets negatively perceived. I mean, that's not the only thing obviously of course but a cause of massive strain on top of all the struggle and coping with the illness as a family.

SickOfSickness and Kina like this.
  8. WillowJ

WillowJ คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl

WA, USA
    Kina likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.