1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Phoenix Rising Adds Two New Board Members
Mark Berry introduces the new President of Phoenix Rising, Dr. Gary Solomon, and welcomes Professor Jonathan Edwards to the Phoenix Rising Board of Directors.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

ADHD Prior to Developing CFS

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by xks201, Jun 5, 2012.

1. xks201

xks201 Senior Member

Just curious how many of you were diagnosed with or had symptoms of ADHD years before developing CFS. It seemed to be a very salient symptom of mine I have carried all of my life until finally crashing with CFS. Some psychiatrists implicate ADHD as a problem of dopamine resistance in the brain. And studies are showing brain abnormalities in CFS within the dopaminergic and serotonergic reward system. Just curious about this and if anyone wants to chime in feel free.

2. Sparrow

Sparrow Senior Member

Canada
    I don't have ADHD. ...Though I have suspected that my brain benefits from a little extra dopamine. Coffee makes me happy ;) (though I can't have any anymore. I'm very sensitive to caffeine, and the dehydration makes me WAY too sick now).

3. xks201

xks201 Senior Member

Sparrow I greatly appreciate you replying to my posts. I find that many CFS patients are super sensitive to any sort of sympathetic nervous stimulation - be it caffeine, adderall, or even stress for example - myself included. I am curious if you have had your copper levels tested by chance?

4. helios

helios

Brisbane
    Its hard to say if I had ADHD. I used to be a top student, then at 16 I started to feel unwell and also struggle with my studies, and I slowly developed chemical & food sensitivites around this time. I guess I could say at this point I developed what could be classed as ADHD + also anxiety. I struggled on for a few years and took up body building, and had improved health for a while but I was overtraining and ending up crashing, and it was at this point that I could say without doubt I had CFS. Just thought I'd mention though It might sound weird but having an orgasm increases my ADHD/brain fog for the next 4 days.
    I have never been given any ADHD med, though I have asked for them. I tried the AD buspar which was ok/subtle. I really need coffee in the mornings to kick start me. Also love those (red bull type) energy drinks, but cant overdo them as I get too wired & my thoughts get scatty. I have a lot of trouble with remaining focused and also organising my tasks.

5. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member

London
    I hadn't been diagnosed with ADHD and no one else in my family with ME or CFS has been diagnosed. Being supersensitve to caffeine isn't a feature for us either.

6. L'engle

L'engle moderate ME

Canada
    I did not have ADD. I had little trouble focusing most of the time. I still can 'focus' but at times when my cognitive functioning is not there and my brain hurts from concentrating, there is little point in focusing.

7. searcher

searcher

SF Bay Area
    I was never diagnosed with ADHD, but always had serious problems with organization and procrastination despite doing well in school. I think if I was a kid now I would potentially be diagnosed with the inattentive type. Interestingly enough, occasional micro-doses of Adderall seems to help me a lot now even though caffeine crashes me.

8. justy

justy Senior Member

U.K
    No ADHD for me either - quite the opposite in fact. Still able to concentrate pretty well now for long periods, but like L'engle it makes my brain hurt to do it. No ADHD in my family either - including my daughter who may have M.E.

L'engle likes this.
  9. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    No ADHD for me.

10. SOC

SOC Senior Member

USA
    No ADHD here -- neither daughter nor me. If anything, we were very focused.

11. Sushi

Sushi Moderator and Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    No ADHD. Caffeine = Good!

12. Chris

Chris Senior Member

Victoria, BC
    And no ADHD here either--always got good grades, on to Ph.D. and such stuff. Still have suspicions about statins, EMF, and vaccines--can make a case for any / all of those as triggers. But ADHD--definitely out for me. Chris

13. lnester7

lnester7 Seven

USA
    All my life I think struggle mentally to stay focused or know what is going on around me (I am spacy). But have not been officially diagnosed.

14. xchocoholic

xchocoholic Senior Member

Florida
    No adhd but I hardly ever rested. Grades were good. I'm super sensitive to excitotoxins, esp caffeine, tho.

15. place

place Be Strong!

US
    Check! Dx when I was 8. ADD and ADHD. Coffee calms me down. Same with any stim, it should calm you down if you have it. It does not give you energy. If it does, then you don't have it.

16. August59

August59 Daughters High School Graduation

Upstate SC, USA
    You have Albuterol listed as a treatment and the dosage being 1mg 1-2x/day. I'm assuming this a oral treatment (pill or capsule). Is this the same Albuterol that is largely used in nebulizers, especially in children when they has a bad respiratory infection or asthma I believe.

17. uni

uni

no ADD diagnosis

but i definitely had attention problems which worsened as my other symptoms showed up

in fact, if i take an ADD questionnaire right now, I score in the highest category - "highly likely to have ADD"

18. taniaaust1

taniaaust1

Sth Australia
    No ADHD here.

I was an active child into many sports thou... and hate doing nothing.

19. xks201

xks201 Senior Member

Yeah except the standard inhaler of albuterol has a far smaller dose and I don't think it works like the pill form does. Doctors can prescribe up to 1mg in the pill form I think. It is somewhat stimulating and beta 2 agonists are anabolic. Gives me a lot of strength in the gym too.

Here is a link to the scientific paper that talks about it. http://www.cfids-cab.org/MESA/Bains.pdf
    Also I theorize it is possible that the beta adrenergic receptors get very downregulated after years of hypothyroidism.

See more popular forum discussions.