1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Dr. Kerr, I presume?
Clark Ellis brings us a rare interview with British researcher Dr. Jonathan Kerr who is now living in Colombia.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Adenovirus vaccine cut infections by a factor of 100

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Waverunner, Jul 28, 2014.

1. Waverunner

Waverunner Senior Member

Does anyone know if this vaccine is also available for non-military people? It works pretty good.

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/boot-camp-bug

The U.S. military has been fighting a battle with a common virus. Adenoviruses, which cause respiratory illnesses including some colds, plague boot camps. In the past, the viruses have infected 80 percent or more of new soldiers, spawning a potentially fatal flulike illness in some. A vaccine kept the virus in check for two decades but was discontinued in 1996, after a dispute between its maker — Wyeth Pharmaceuticals — and the U.S. Department of Defense. A new vaccine introduced by the DOD in 2011 has cut infections by a factor of 100, scientists report July 2 in Clinical Infectious Diseases.
  2. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    Is it unduly cynical for me to wonder if there's any correlation between the DOD testing that vaccine during the development phases, and prevalence of GWS? :rolleyes:
  3. Waverunner

Waverunner Senior Member

Well, this should be easy to find out because it was discontinued from 1996 to 2011. Therefore I highly doubt, that it had influence on the prevalence of GWS.
  4. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    The new one was "introduced" in 2011. Which means it was in development for a while prior to that.

See more popular forum discussions.