Julie Rehmeyer's 'Through the Shadowlands'
Writer Never Give Up talks about Julie Rehmeyer's new book "Through the Shadowlands: A Science Writer's Odyssey into an Illness Science Doesn't Understand" and shares an interview with Julie ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Adenosylcobalamin

Discussion in 'Detox: Methylation; B12; Glutathione; Chelation' started by Banana94, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Banana94

Banana94

Hi all

Where do you buy/odere pure Adenosylcobalamin??
    On iHerb its only in combination with Folic Acid which i dont want.
    Seekinghealth.com has it only in combination with methlcobalamin??
    Any other websites which ship to Europe?
    Thx

2. PinkPanda

PinkPanda thebiochemcorner.com

www.detoxpeople.eu in the UK has a wide array of supplements. They also ship to other european countries, you might have to ask if they ship to yours.
    Three adenosylcobalamin products came up in the search.

3. Learner1

Learner1 Professional Patient

Pacific Northwest
    According to this, its not very stable in pill form.

https://www.globalhealingcenter.com/natural-health/adenosylcobalamin-4-facts-know/

The kind he recommends, though, has methylcobalamin. I did find this one, though, and Seeking Health has a similar product:

https://www.vitacost.com/country-life-active-b-12-dibencozide-3000-mcg-60-sublingual-lozenges

I have a huge need for B12 and an excellent ND helping me, but he's mainly had me on methylB12 with some hydroxo B12 and only a tiny bit of adenoB12.

I'm curious, why do you only want adenoB12?

4. Tammy

Tammy Senior Member

New Mexico
    Check out www.metabolics.com ........they have an excellent adenosyl..........without any additives.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
  5. Hip

Hip Senior Member

Adenosylcobalamin is also known as dibencozide, in case you want to Google search.

6. alicec

alicec Senior Member

Australia
    I've never come across this claim before. I did a quick google and could find nothing to support the notion and since so many other claims in that article are wrong I wouldn't place much credence on this one either.

The incorrect claims include -

1) dietary sources of B12 are in the hydroxycobalamin form. Actually, while this form is common (probably at least in part because this form is the result of the action of light on the methyl and adenosyl forms), the adenosyl form is even more common, while methyl is predominant in some foods - see this study.

2) whatever form is ingested, the body will convert it to methylcobalamin. It is true that methylcobalamin is the dominant form in the blood but within the cell, B12 is converted to both the methyl and adenosyl forms as needed and adenosyl appears to be the dominant intracellular form.

3) the citric acid cycle fails without the conversion of methylmalonyl CoA acid to succinylCoA (the reaction for which adenosylB12 acts as co-factor). It is true that if this reaction fails completely (such as in some rare genetic diseases) there are severe consequences, mainly because accumulating methylmalonic acid is toxic. The absence of the reaction however doesn't stop the citric acid cycle since this pathway is used only for processing odd-chain fatty acids which are minor forms and a few amino acids; even-chain fatty acids, carbohydrate and most amino acids feed into the citric acid cycle independently of this reaction and keep the cycle going.

Marc_NL and Valentijn like this.
  7. Learner1

Pacific Northwest
    Thanks for your post.

I'm still wondering why people are going to extra effort to find AB12, when MB12 is easier to find.

8. alicec

alicec Senior Member

Australia
    Of course the bit you quoted from my previous post was the bit I was pointing out was incorrect - the statement about all forms being converted to methylB12 is not true.

Some people report a different response to these different active forms. On the face of it, it shouldn't matter since the upper axial ligand (methyl, adenosyl, hydroxy etc) is removed once B12 is taken into the cell and methyl and adenosyl B12 reformed as they are needed.

This is the standard or defined B12 trafficking pathway but there is suggestive evidence that alternative, undefined pathways exist. Possibly, particularly when relatively large amounts of supplemental vitamin are taken, these alternative pathways can be important and explain the different response to the different forms - though this is speculation.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
    Marc_NL likes this.
  9. Valentijn

Valentijn The Diabolic Logic

Effective marketing from quacks.

10. Learner1

Pacific Northwest
    That's not really an appropriate comment. Please keep such snarky comments to yourself.

My understanding has been the same as @alicec is saying, that AB12 and MB12 are reformed as needed. I was hoping that someone might have a little more info about the pathways she mentioned, and if there is a situation where someone was unable to use MB12 and could therefore only use AB12.

11. alicec

alicec Senior Member

Australia
    Here is a post I wrote on the known intracellular trafficking pathways for cobalamin.

As I note in this post, the statement is always made in reviews that some cobalamin enters the cell by passive diffusion. I have never found any studies which have characterised this path further.

According to the defined pathways, since the upper axial ligand is removed, it shouldn't matter what form is used and indeed, this has been the justification for using cyanocobalamin which is more stable and cheaper to produce.

Interestingly though, from the practice of treating children with genetic defects in B12 metabolism for whom very large doses of supplemental vitamin are required, differences have been found.

In the US and Europe, hydroxycobalamin has become the preferred treatment, rather than cyanocobalamin.

In Asia, particularly Japan where a lot of current research on cobalamin seems to be happening, methylcobalamin is the preferred form.

As far as I have been able to find, the two don't appear to meet - there has never been a trial comparing hydroxy with methyl. Both though appear to be superior to cyano.

Again as far as I have been able to find, the reason for this is unknown but it certainly indicates that there is more to cobalamin processing than we currently understand. Maybe this is part of the reason that some people respond better to some forms than others.

Little Bluestem and Valentijn like this.

See more popular forum discussions.