• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Adenosine monophosphate as a sleep-aid?

Moshi

Does anyone have experience of using adensosine monophosphate as a sleep-aid? I've had serious sleeping problems for the past 20 years and I've tried just about everything. Use ambien (zolpidiem) regularly to get to sleep but wake up 4 hours later (usually between 2-4am) and cannot go back to sleep. No anxiety. Just can't sleep. I have ME and a demanding daily schedule with a half-time job and two young children, and I am desperate to get more than my regular 4-5 hours/night. I would be grateful for ideas....!

Moshi

@ggingues - Thanks! Remeron = Mirtazapin, certainly rings a bell, must have looked into that one earlier. I will research it, even though I have a dislike for SSRI's that I was able to quit many years ago. I'm certainly not depressed, but the chronic insomnia is not exactly making me joyful either. :)
I percieve my problem as an early surge in cortisol and/or adrenaline, beginning as early as around 1-2am. I have tried, L-Theanine, GABA, Lithium Orotate, and Phospatidyl Serine (i.e. Seriphos) before bed but they do not really seem to help much. Sometimes I have considered trying a higher dose of PS, but a little wary it will lower cortisol during daytime, as it is already low.
Any other ideas, anyone? :)

*GG*

@ggingues - Thanks! Remeron = Mirtazapin, certainly rings a bell, must have looked into that one earlier. I will research it, even though I have a dislike for SSRI's that I was able to quit many years ago. I'm certainly not depressed, but the chronic insomnia is not exactly making me joyful either. :)

I percieve my problem as an early surge in cortisol and/or adrenaline, beginning as early as around 1-2am. I have tried, L-Theanine, GABA, Lithium Orotate, and Phospatidyl Serine (i.e. Seriphos) before bed but they do not really seem to help much. Sometimes I have considered trying a higher dose of PS, but a little wary it will lower cortisol during daytime, as it is already low.

Any other ideas, anyone? :)

I take it for sleep, not typically depressed, been working for me since 2009!

GG

Sometimes it helps to take something when you wake up in the early AM rather than before bed (if you have the time to sleep in).

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Ambien is really only a goid sleep initiator, i generally add an antihistamine like doxylamine or diphenhydramine to help keep me asleep. Phenergan is another good sleep sustainer .

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I always wake up in the middle of the night. Usually around 3 am

What works for me with right feeling drugged is any of the following: Passion flower, suntheanine, trazodone, and tizanidine

I find since what ever I took to get me to sleep, Ambien and antihistamines, is still in my system to I don't need anything huge to knock me out like I do when I first try to sleep.

Moshi

@ggingues - my sincere congratulations! Glad you found something that's working for you! Insomnia is a killer. @satori , thanks for the tip but I am never allowed to sleep in, even if I was able to :) @heapsreal - been using Ambien for 15+ years and yes, it works. 15-20mgs of zolpidiem will almost always send me to sleep....however, it wears off after 3 or so hours, and then I cannot repeat the dose, it would make me even more groggy/foggy in the morning. Will look into anti-histamines, and Phenergan, thanks! @minkeygirl - thanks, I remember taking trazodone when I lived in the US, worked a charm, loved it :) however, it is like valium right? Old-school benzo...or?
Lot of things to look into here, thanks everyone!

Moshi

@minkeygirl - OK, Thanks! @heapsreal - found I actually have Phenergan at home (sold as "Lergigan Mite" in Sweden), it didn't have much of an effect on me before, but I could easily give it another try.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
@Moshi @heapsreal got me into the combo routine and it makes a huge difference. Things that don't work on their own work great when combined with other things. It's all about layering stuff for maximum effect.

There are some nights when nothing works but for the most part for me, this is the way to go.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
@Moshi Try to make sure you don't take the same combo every night to avoid tolerance.

This morning I woke at 3:30 and took 2 mgs tizanadine and slept a few more hours. I have good luck with OTC stuff for my middle of the night wakings. I can't take anything that lasts too long because no matter what I usually wake by 7. If I don't have time to sleep it off I'm drugged the entire next day.

In a combo it may help you stay asleep. I find Phenergan on its own doesnt do much.
Please tell me where you buy Phosphatidylserine powder ???
I read your posts already half a year. Please help me solve my problem (((I have high levels of cortisol for a year. I am 23 years .I from Ukraine. Please leave me your contact my email so that I can contact you.

My email 7685858 at gmail dot com

Last edited by a moderator: