• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Addressing B12 deficiency and methylation issues with whole foods

I have had very serious reactions to methyl B12 and methyl folate, including seizures and severe psychiatric problems. I just cannot get beyond a miniscule dose of 10 mcg of mb12 and 200 mcg of 50% Quatrefolic and 50% calcium folinate without losing the ability to sleep. So I'm wondering if whole food sources of these nutrients such as freeze dried liver capsules and large amounts of leafy greens would actually help me make any significant progress in healing? Any experience or insight would be appreciated.

Eastman

Liver is a good source of both B12 and folate, so your idea could work.

Or you could try hydroxocobalamin instead of methylcobalamin. That is what richvank used in his simplified methylation protocol.

I also think Ben Lynch's advice on how to prevent methylation side effects is good.

It is important to prepare your cells and other biochemical pathways before stimulating them with methylfolate and methylcobalamin.

Following the lifestyle, dietary and environmental recommendations in the MTHFR Protocol post is a very important first step.

The next step is to begin with some basics – and these basics are as explained above:
  • electrolytes
  • glutathione
  • B vitamins (no B12 and no methylfolate)
  • multivitamin/multimineral (no B12 and no methylfolate – plus no Iron or Copper)
  • reducing stress by supporting lifestyle, diet and adrenals