Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

adderall / ritalin/ ampheta - can you take these as needed?

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by alice111, Jun 9, 2017.

1. alice111

alice111 Senior Member

Canada
    hey guys,

just wondering for those of you who take any of the above drugs can do you take them daily or as needed?

I have been taking the same dose daily for a long time, but recently realised it might be more helpful to not take it on days I know I need to rest. Is this ok to do? or is it like SSRI's where you have to take regularly?

Thanks! :)

MEMum, Jennifer J and Never Give Up like this.
  2. Webdog

Webdog Senior Member

For years I was told (rather forcefully by one doctor) to take daily. My health deteriorated significantly, and I attribute much of that to daily prescribed stimulant use (Ritalin/Adderall/Vyvanse).

I now keep 10mg Vyvanse for as needed, which is about once a month. I tolerate Vyvanse a bit better than the others, including the XRs.

3. Runner5

Runner5

PNW
    I was told only to take as needed and try not to take daily or too often because they build tolerance quickly. I no longer take Ritalin or stims, I drink coffee though ;-P

4. Skippa

Skippa Anti-BS

Total layman's answer: tolerance can be avoided/maintained by taking only as needed, and dependance can be avoided by taking breaks too.

So I think that sounds most sensible... BUT... will that treat your symptoms? (Eg I don't know why you were prescribed it)...

So: are there any additional gains to be had by building and maintaining bodily levels that aren't realised by taking a more stop/start approach?

See this thread for some interesting perspectives and a link to a study:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Drugs/comments/3oy3p8/taking_adderall_everyday_vs_occasionally/

5. alice111

alice111 Senior Member

Canada

well what I have found to be interesting is if i take dexedrine when I know I am going to be overexerting myself it seems like it reduces the crash significantly!! I would have thought it would be the opposite. but I have now experimented quite a few times and it is definitely the case... why?? that's beyond me...

See more popular forum discussions.