1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
The Chronic Fatigue Initiative and Interview with Mady Hornig
In a follow-up article to the recent IACFS/ME conference presentation in San Francisco, and after speaking at length with Dr. Mady Hornig, 'searcher' delves deeper into the impressive work being completed by the Chronic Fatigue Initiative, and focuses in on those cytokine results ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.
  1. mstrlucky74

mstrlucky74

But that's not a good thing that I can't take Valcyte because of my WBC count.......if I really need it and have an active infection I am SOL??? :)
  2. SOC

SOC Moderator and Senior Member

USA
    As I recall, you didn't want to take it anyway. :) You might want to look into Famvir or Cidovir infusions.
  3. mstrlucky74

mstrlucky74

No I did not want to but if it one of my inly choices than I would try it with frequent blood test. I guess I will try (3) of the 1G Valtrex tablets a day for 2-3 months and see if it is helping
  4. jimells

jimells Senior Member

northern Maine
    Nobody said Valtrex definitely won't work, but the consensus here suggests the odds are not good. The HHV-6 foundation does not include it in its list of treatments:

http://hhv-6foundation.org/clinicians/hhv-6-treatment

I couldn't find any PubMed articles that support using Valtrex for active HHV-6 infections, although there were a few articles discussing its use to prevent these infections in transplant patients.
  5. mstrlucky74

mstrlucky74

Thanks.....gonna try the Valcyte ....gonna give the Vatrex a few days to get out of my sytstem before going on the Valycte....hope my WBC don't drop.
  6. jimells

jimells Senior Member

northern Maine
    Hey mstrlucky74 are you on Valcyte yet?

I started it two weeks ago, and so far no adverse effects...
    heapsreal likes this.
  7. jake45

jake45

I still never understood whats the difference between acyclovir and valacyclovir?
  8. morinos

morinos

Hello! I am taking acyclocir for 1 week. 400mg * 4 times per day. 1600 daily. And i am feeling very sick on it (temperature, sore throat ..etc). One day i didnt take ayclovir at the night and on the next morning i did not have temperature. When i took it again - i felt sick again.
    What should i do? Continue take it or stop?
  9. SOC

USA
    I suggest you call your prescribing doc and ask. It could be something unsafe for you OR it could be something you could push through. Your doc probably has a better idea of which it is than anyone here is likely to. :)
  10. SOC

USA
    So, I'm back on Valcyte. **sigh**

For me, Valtrex did not keep the HHV6 suppressed for more than a couple of years. We knocked the HHV6 back into latency with 2 years of Valcyte treatment. The hope was that Valtrex could keep it in latency, but it didn't work for me for more than a couple of years, so the HHV6 is reactivated again. That is unusual apparently, but not unheard of. Fortunately, we caught it early this time so it should be easier to shove it back into latency than it was the first time. [fingers crossed]

I guess this is my opportunity to put my money where my mouth is. ;)
  11. Christopher

Christopher Senior Member

Pennsylvania
    What valtrex dose were you using?
  12. SOC

USA
    Very high. Don't want to give the exact dose in this public forum. ;)

See more popular forum discussions.