• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Acyclovir vs. Valtrex: Any one easier on the kidneys?

TheMoonIsBlue

I was on 4 grams of Valtrex for about 1.5 years. I had some improvement but decided to go off after totally relapsing and side effects.

The most bothersome side effect was lower back pain (kidneys). I drank almost a gallon of water a day while on valtrex but sometimes it was still bothersome.

I was thinking of trying Valtrex or acyclovir again at a lower dose- perhaps 500mg 3x a day. 4 grams was just was too much. I know that is the "therapeutic" dose but I feel it was too much for my body- I'm a small person too.

Does anyone one if perhaps acyclovir is easier on the kidneys than Valtrex? I think it just takes an additional step in the body to convert to what valtrex is/does (hope I got that right)

Anyone has a dose recommendation for acyclovir?

I think EBV is likely still the main culprit. I was on Valcyte also for a year but had to stop it for various reasons. My HHV-6 levels actually dopped down to "negative" I think while on Valcyte. Valcyte also isn't something I can consider trying again at this point.

P.S. I tried Famvir- It gave me horrendous muscle pain!!

Thanks.

TheMoonIsBlue

Thanks Heapsreal- do you know if acyclovir is any easier on the kidneys though? Hah, Maybe it is harder on the kidneys I don't know! I doubt doctors will either :(

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
i dont really know, drinking lots of water to flush your kidneys out is important and liver support supplements can help detoxify you from these drugs and put less stress on the kidneys, nac seems to have helped me keep good liver and kidney function while on famvir, as well as lipoic acid. cheers!!!