• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Acyclovir in UK??

LisaGoddard

Hi, Anyone know of a good source of acyclovir in the UK??

I have been thinking of trying it because my chonic sore throat and pain in spleen etc.. has really worsened since my husband came home with a cold virus. I didn't get the virus - just had a low grade fever which has lasted for two weeks now and increase in my throat pain. I wonder if they are caused by reactivation of EBV?

Any suggestions of a good source? Or advice?
Thanks.
Lisa

LisaGoddard

Hi, I realised that probably valacyclovir is better for epstein barr.
I don't know that it is ebv but sore throat, spleen pain, stiff neck sounds that way.
Any thoughts?

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Have a look at Famvir, some people having success with this. You won't get it in the UK unless you have a prescription though. If you look on the Epstein Barr thread heapsreal give a link to a foreign pharmacy.
The problem with taking a/virals in the UK is you don't get the necessary health monitoring which is what puts me off.
Have you thought of Samento or one of the other herbals, this does pack a punch though, first time I took it I couldn't tolerate even a drop daily, but started again and now been on 10 drops a day for the past few weeks.

ukxmrv

The Breakspear are prescribing some antivirals. Also some private immunologists in the UK.

They can be bought over the internet from places like Magicpharma. I've been ordering generic Valtrex. Threads on interest sites elsewhere on this forum.

Uno

I get them for my GP as I've been plagued with recurrent Shingles and my consultant said I'd probably need them for life as my immunity is so low. Acyclovir won't work on general CFS symptoms, it's useful if you get recurrent coldsores or shingles though. I am after Valcyte.

Uno

Also Lisa, the supplement Lyscine is supposed to be good against viruses plus a product called Now Foods Immune Renew which you can get on Ebay for about £13.00. I've had great success with the Now product and am starting Lyscine soon.

LisaGoddard

Hi, Thanks for all for your comments! It is great to hear from other UK sufferers.
I may try the famvir. I'd like to try valcycte but its too expensive.

I had some benefits in the past from licorice root and olive leaf extract (higher nature brand is really powerful) but now my immune system won't tolerate anything that stimulates any part of it so herbals and immune modulators are out.

Has anyone had a successful referral to Breakspear?

Thanks again!
God bless,
Lisa