The power and pitfalls of omics part 2: epigenomics, transcriptomics and ME/CFS
Simon McGrath concludes his blog about the remarkable Prof George Davey Smith's smart ideas for understanding diseases, which may soon be applied to ME/CFS.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Acyclovir for CFS & meniere's - Experiences, hair loss?, general thoughts?

Discussion in 'Antivirals, Antibiotics and Immune Modulators' started by Gecko, May 18, 2015.

1. Gecko

Gecko

Hi all,

I have been put on Acyclovir, 400mg 3 x per day for Chronic fatigue (and also through my own research for Menieres).

I have been on it for about a week with no changes. I have also just started taking L-Lysine alongside.

Does anyone have any comments or experiences on Acyclovir?

I am terrified by the idea of hair loss that I keep reading about. To the point where I'm considering stopping it. I've read people saying it hasn't grown back after losing it!

Does anyone know how much of a risk this is, how long it might take for the side effects (mainly hair loss) to start and if it would grow back fully if it did thin/fall out?

On the other side, how long might it take for me to know if I'm getting benefits from it?

Many thanks!

2. anniekim

anniekim Senior Member

U.K
    I took 4 x 500mg acyclovir for about seven months. Sadly, I had no benefits but also no side effects. Hope it helps you with no to minimum side effects

3. minkeygirl

minkeygirl But I Look So Good.

Left Coast
    I was taking about 1500 mgs and had no problems with it. I also noticed a subtle difference in my energy, maybe 2 months in? Not anything huge but I could talk more easily and do a bit more (within reason) without PEM. Definitely worth it for me. I stopped only because things went crazy in my life causing a crash and then I went on Famvir.

I would give it some time and see how it goes. I never heard of hair loss being a side effect from it. The benefits I think outweigh your concern.

Make sure you drink lots of water with it.

4. cb2

cb2 Senior Member

minkeygirl how come you went on famvir the second time instead of acyclovir? i too was taking acyclovir and didnt have any issue with hair lose .. hope this helps!

5. SOC

SOC

If your "chronic fatigue" is mild enough that you're more worried about hair loss than your health condition, I'd say the acyclovir isn't worth it. ;)

If you have documented pathogens that need an antiviral, there are other AVs you could look into. However, I wouldn't suggest AVs unless you really need them. Taking them just for fatigue probably isn't worth any potential side effects.

6. cb2

cb2 Senior Member

SOC as far as the
    documented pathogens.. does Dr. Lerner use the IGG levels or? is there a place i can look to see ? I go to dr montoya's clinic at stanford..

7. SOC

SOC

If Dr Montoya's clinic is recommending Valtrex for you, then I imagine you really need it. In that case, I'd be more concerned about dealing with pathogens that could be causing serious health problems than with hair loss. ;) Having less hair will be small potatoes if you can't work, or socialize, or even get out of bed.

cb2 likes this.
  8. cb2

cb2 Senior Member

i started a new thread a bit ago about acyclovir vs valtrex... it would be great if you feel like taking a look

See more popular forum discussions.