• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Active B12 Protocol Basics

Hi,

I have had CFS for 16 years, but only in the last 7 months have I really learned how bad it can be. I am trying to crawl out of the basement, but 2 months ago, my foot started going numb along with all of the other issues, low energy, poor sleep, depresssion, anxiety, messed up immunue system. I came across Fredd and this methylation plan that restored feeling to the feet, but there seems to be so many different threads listing differerent supplements. I was wondering if someone could provide a nice summary of the Active B12 program along with what supplements to start, when to start the b12s. What brand b12s - since that seems to keep changing. The timing of taking the supplements during the day. Basically and update version of this website which I don't think is current.

http://maartens.home.xs4all.nl/me/RESOURCES/NEW/FredddsMB12protocol.php.htm

Also, to reverse the numbness in my feet, do I need to start getting methyl B injections or give them to myself. Zone4

Thanks for helping out a newcomer

Looking for Answers,

Here is a document I made up for myself a while back when I was trying to consolidate the information and understand it better. I hope this is helpful to you or anyone else.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/38325428/Freddd Protocol.doc?dl=1

Holly

Hi,

I have had CFS for 16 years, but only in the last 7 months have I really learned how bad it can be. I am trying to crawl out of the basement, but 2 months ago, my foot started going numb along with all of the other issues, low energy, poor sleep, depresssion, anxiety, messed up immunue system. I came across Fredd and this methylation plan that restored feeling to the feet, but there seems to be so many different threads listing differerent supplements. I was wondering if someone could provide a nice summary of the Active B12 program along with what supplements to start, when to start the b12s. What brand b12s - since that seems to keep changing. The timing of taking the supplements during the day. Basically and update version of this website which I don't think is current.

http://maartens.home.xs4all.nl/me/RESOURCES/NEW/FredddsMB12protocol.php.htm

Also, to reverse the numbness in my feet, do I need to start getting methyl B injections or give them to myself. Zone4

Thanks for helping out a newcomer

roxie60

curecfs, thanks for sharing your doc, I could only read the first couple of pages (really stuggling with fatigue right now and just got up :mad:). One thought I had for those kind enough to make write ups about their experience I would also suggest a sentence or two describing the symps you are tying to address with the supps taking or the symps experienced after taking. Just a suggestion.

For instance today I took 5mg DRibose, 10mg Creatine, 5mg LGlutamine, 100mg Ubiquinol (CoQ10), CereVive (for the B6 P5P, Magnesium and other supps). That was about 6 hours ago. Now feeling more tired and the virating/shaking sensation is back (although at low level for now). Not enough energy to sit for long or do anything. was hoping for boost of energy others have reported after taking these supps.

I'm not on the protocol myself right now (or any particular regimen for that matter). I tried it in 2011 and didn't see results after a few months so I gave up. Hopefully the doc is helpful once you are able to absorb it or maybe a family member could help?

Good luck roxie60.

curecfs, thanks for sharing your doc, I could only read the first couple of pages (really stuggling with fatigue right now and just got up :mad:). One thought I had for those kind enough to make write ups about their experience I would also suggest a sentence or two describing the symps you are tying to address with the supps taking or the symps experienced after taking. Just a suggestion.

For instance today I took 5mg DRibose, 10mg Creatine, 5mg LGlutamine, 100mg Ubiquinol (CoQ10), CereVive (for the B6 P5P, Magnesium and other supps). That was about 6 hours ago. Now feeling more tired and the virating/shaking sensation is back (although at low level for now). Not enough energy to sit for long or do anything. was hoping for boost of energy others have reported after taking these supps.

roxie60

I'm not on the protocol myself right now (or any particular regimen for that matter). I tried it in 2011 and didn't see results after a few months so I gave up. Hopefully the doc is helpful once you are able to absorb it or maybe a family member could help?

Good luck roxie60.
OK. I am curious, you are not on protocol right now....did you get better and stop the protocol or found taking supps not helpful? Thx

I stopped because I didn't find any improvement...but I wouldn't discourage anyone from giving it a shot either.

OK. I am curious, you are not on protocol right now....did you get better and stop the protocol or found taking supps not helpful? Thx

juniemarie

Thanks There is some useful info on that It will come in handy but we still dont have the latest Fred protocol I dont think......if I'm not mistaken there were revisions this year???

I'm sorry I don't know if there were revisions as I haven't been following it :( That was the latest as of 2011.

Thanks There is some useful info on that It will come in handy but we still dont have the latest Fred protocol I dont think......if I'm not mistaken there were revisions this year???

Hi Holly,

Thanks for the document, it was having trouble with google docs and a pop-up window. What you sent is basically what is at the beginning of this thread. There have been more discussions and potentially more revisions in another thread with several thousand entries - which I have not had the to read in entirety nor energy. I was hoping Fredd would post his latest revision..

Sorry about that :(

Hi Holly,

Thanks for the document, it was having trouble with google docs and a pop-up window. What you sent is basically what is at the beginning of this thread. There have been more discussions and potentially more revisions in another thread with several thousand entries - which I have not had the to read in entirety nor energy. I was hoping Fredd would post his latest revision..

Freddd

Good luck roxie60.

Hi Curecfs,

Perhaps this will give some clues. Also the one brand that has been continuously 5 star since the beginning is Enzymatic Therapy MeCbl. The Anabol Dibencoplex is currently the best AdoCbl I have found. While Jarrow MeCbl used to be excellent, it is not any more and hasn't been for 18 months or so.

THE 95% REASONS B12 AND FOLATE THERAPIES FAIL

Version 2.0 - 03/10/11, Version 2.1 - 05/08/11. Version 3.0 – 10/25/2012, Version 3.1 10/26/2012, Version 11/05/2012 3.2

1) They take an inactive b12, either cyanob12 or hydroxyb12. The research validating their use was primarily for reducing blood cell size in Pernicious Anemia, keeping the serum b12 level over 300pg/ml at the end of the period between injections. They make a statistically significant effect that can be seen in lab tests in a significant percentage of people compared to placebo. They do not heal most damage done by active b12 deficiencies and have little or no effect on the vast majority of symptoms. They may even block active b12 from receptor sites hindering the effects of real b12. They both cause a keyhole effect of having only a very limited amount (estimated at 10-30mcg/day) that can actually be bound and converted to active forms. They in no way increase the level of unbound active cobalamins which appear required for most healing. They do nothing beneficial in a substantial percentage of people (20-40%) while giving the illusion that the problem is being treated and if it doesn’t work, oh well, that’s the accepted therapy. There is no dose proportionate healing with these inactive b12s because it all has to go through this keyhole. Some people are totally incapable of converting these to active forms because they lack the enzymes or ATP

2) They take active b12 as an oral tablet reducing absorption to below 1%. A 1000mcg active b12 oral tablet might bind as much as 10mcg of b12. Again the b12 has to be squeezed through a keyhole that limits the amount and is subject to binding problems in the person whether genetic or acquired.3. They take a sublingual tablet of active b12 and chew it or slurp it down quickly reducing absorption back to that same 1% and limited to binding capacity. With sublingual tablets absorption is proportionate to time in contact with tissues. I performed a series of absorption tests comparing sublingual absorption to injection via hypersensitive response and urine colorimetry.

3) Of the many brands of sublingual methylb12 only some are very effective. Some are completely ineffective and some have a little effect.

4) For injectable methylb12, if it is exposed to too much light (very little light actually is too much) it breaks down. Broken down methylb12 is hydroxyb12. It doesn’t work at healing brain/cord problems of those who have a presumed low CSF cobalamin level. That requires a flood of unbound methylb12 and adenosylb12 (2 separate deficiencies) that can enter by diffusion. Adenosylb12 from sublinguals can ride along with injected methylb12.

5) They don’t take BOTH active b12s.

6) They don’t take enough active b12s for the purpose.

7) Lack of methylfolate

8) Lack of sufficient Methylfolate, a dose can start more healing than the same dose can complete.

9) Paradoxical Folate Deficiency - Folic acid is taken which can block at least 10 times as much methylfolate from being active inducing folate deficiency even if methylfolate is also taken. These induced deficiency symptoms are often called "detox" symptoms. Folinic acid is taken which can block at least 10-20 times as much methylfolate from being active inducing folate deficiency even if methylfolate is also taken. These induced deficiency symptoms are often called "detox" symptoms.

10) Lack of l-carnitine fumarate (rarely ALCAR), the 4th of the Deadlock Quartet

11) Lack of other critical cofactors.

12) Lack of basic cofactors

13) Glutathione, glutathione direct precursors, NAC and /or whey is taken causing what is often called "detox" while actually being induced folate and b12 deficiencies.

14) Having many additional supplements and herbs of unknown interactions and effects.

Hi Curecfs,

Perhaps this will give some clues.

Thank you for the updated info. Sadly, since I did the protocol 2 years ago, I cannot remember details of what I took and when and how much. I know I tried to follow the protocol pretty close with the recommended brands, etc, and not leaving anything important out.

I've read through many of your posts (and thank you for your thorough work in all of this). My question is the timeline with the Zones... I am not understanding how much time is needed to regulate the doses at that level before moving on to the next. Also, am I wrong in assuming that not everyone has to go to the full dosing in the latter zones? What time is sufficient to allow the body to adjust to the new routines? 2 weeks? 3 weeks?

I also meant to ask, for people interesting in detoxing (such as trying to lower mercury levels via activated charcoal and mag citrate), is this something that has to wait until adequate methylation is in place or is it largely independent of such?