• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Active b12 and folate dosage goal?

Hello,

I don't have chronic fatigue, but I believe I have mercury toxicity which could interfere with b12 metabolism. I read that people without b12 deficiency will not react to active b12 supplementation. What dosage does this refer to? Is there a dosage goal that one can test against? For example, I don't get the jittery reaction until I take up to 20mg of mb12. Does this signify that I am deficient or not?

I have read from mercury chelation, that when one can tolerate 200mg ALA then it's an indicator that not much mercury is left in the system. I was wondering if there is something equivalent for b12 and folate? For example, a tolerable dosage to determine saturation and optimal level achieved?

Thanks,
Lan Lan

Freddd

Hello,

I don't have chronic fatigue, but I believe I have mercury toxicity which could interfere with b12 metabolism. I read that people without b12 deficiency will not react to active b12 supplementation. What dosage does this refer to? Is there a dosage goal that one can test against? For example, I don't get the jittery reaction until I take up to 20mg of mb12. Does this signify that I am deficient or not?

I have read from mercury chelation, that when one can tolerate 200mg ALA then it's an indicator that not much mercury is left in the system. I was wondering if there is something equivalent for b12 and folate? For example, a tolerable dosage to determine saturation and optimal level achieved?

Thanks,
Lan Lan

Hi LanLan,

I think right there you have answered the question. A single tablet will cause a very noticeable response in the body if a person has all the other requirements. At least 25 % of the people art more deficient of AdoCbl, methylfolate and/or carnitine than of MeCbl. About 5% are more deficient of a another list of critical cofactors like Vit D, SAM-e, TMG, magnesium, zinc, Biotin, D-Ribose and a few more. However, at 20mg that looks like it could be a CNS response and that would be a yes for having a brain and cord deficiency.

So if you would like to really find out then there is a lot more to do to get ready for your next body trial to give a the b12 a real chance, starting with the brand of MeCbl, how you used it, etc. And then we will be better able to try the CNS level again and see what was happening there. Right now it raises more questions than it answers.