• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Action alert: Fri 6 March: register on reddit to upvote Dr Mady Hornig to the front page & ask qns

DanME

Is she answering top-ranked questions or just the ones she fancies?

Most of the time AMA participants answer the top ranking questions, they like and which are easy to answer (questions walls don't have a chance). You can still add questions, but they will end up at the bottom of the site and won't be answered anymore (redditors call that "buried" or "late to the game")...

Soundthealarm21

Most of the time AMA participants answer the top ranking questions, they like and which are easy to answer (questions walls don't have a chance). You can still add questions, but they will end up at the bottom of the site and won't be answered anymore (redditors call that "buried" or "late to the game")...

Which is why I woke up at 7am. I think I was the third comment including the mod introducing the AMA.

SpecialK82

Ohio, USA
Wow, how about this nugget - this is the first time I have seen a researcher say that we have higher chances of cancer. This is a partial answer to a question about Rituximab studies:

"It should also be noted that B cell lymphomas have been shown to occur at a higher rate in older individuals with a history of ME/CFS. Whether use of rituximab may help prevent such adverse outcomes must be addressed with further research."

Soundthealarm21

Bob

Dr Mady Hornig said:
Autoimmunity, specifically the induction of autoantibodies that bind to, and disrupt the function of, key receptors on immune cells and in the nervous system and other organs, is one of our hypotheses about the mechanisms of illness in ME/CFS.
We are eager to identify whether there are subsets of individuals who have antibodies showing prior exposure to such autoimmunity-associated viruses and bacteria, as well as evidence of the cross-reactive autoantibodies that these viruses and bacteria can produce.

http://www.reddit.com/r/science/com...ma_series_im_professor_mady_hornig_at/cp6ih6c

Last edited: