• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Acne - sign of methylation problems or hormone imbalance?

Hi,

I mentioned this problem in another post on this forum (in connection with my methylation problems - i have the CBS A360A and MTRR / A66G mutations) but have never really gotten to the bottom of why so many things cause my skin to break out.

Just about anything these days gives me acne - certain vitamins and supplements (Omega fatty acids, amino acids, probiotics), certain foods such as eggs, too much dairy/milk products, any sort of detox regime/lymph drainage, lysine, even drinking hot lemon with water...the list goes on and on!! This has only become a real issue over the past few years as i don't recall overreacting to so many things in the past.

Years ago i was told that i have pcos (and that this is the cause of my acne), but my hormones have been tested many times over the past few years and my androgen levels are always within the normal range (although my DHEA and Cortisol are quite low, estrogen and prog are normal but bit low).

I have been wondering whether i am over methylating or even under methylating (some sort of homocysteine problem) perhaps and that this is why i over-react to so many things...

A recent Metabolic Analysis Test revealed deficiencies in folic acid, B12 (and B2 and B6) and some people on this forum have said that low folic acid levels can cause acne. I tried taking B2 and B6 and hey presto my skin broke out again!!!

I have also read on Ben Lynch's forum that Niacin is helpful to stop the over methylation process....but am not sure whether i should try this out given i am so sensitive.

Any thoughts on the above would be very welcome!! I may post this in the hormone section too but wanted to try here first.

IreneF

Your skin may be extra-sensitive to androgens even though the hormone levels in your blood are normal. Talk to a dermatologist about it. That's what happened to me.

If "everything" gives you acne, you may be associating random changes in your skin with foods or supplements when there isn't actually a relationship.

Freddd

Hi,

I mentioned this problem in another post on this forum (in connection with my methylation problems - i have the CBS A360A and MTRR / A66G mutations) but have never really gotten to the bottom of why so many things cause my skin to break out.

Just about anything these days gives me acne - certain vitamins and supplements (Omega fatty acids, amino acids, probiotics), certain foods such as eggs, too much dairy/milk products, any sort of detox regime/lymph drainage, lysine, even drinking hot lemon with water...the list goes on and on!! This has only become a real issue over the past few years as i don't recall overreacting to so many things in the past.

Years ago i was told that i have pcos (and that this is the cause of my acne), but my hormones have been tested many times over the past few years and my androgen levels are always within the normal range (although my DHEA and Cortisol are quite low, estrogen and prog are normal but bit low).

I have been wondering whether i am over methylating or even under methylating (some sort of homocysteine problem) perhaps and that this is why i over-react to so many things...

A recent Metabolic Analysis Test revealed deficiencies in folic acid, B12 (and B2 and B6) and some people on this forum have said that low folic acid levels can cause acne. I tried taking B2 and B6 and hey presto my skin broke out again!!!

I have also read on Ben Lynch's forum that Niacin is helpful to stop the over methylation process....but am not sure whether i should try this out given i am so sensitive.

Any thoughts on the above would be very welcome!! I may post this in the hormone section too but wanted to try here first.

Hi Tashy,

So, Let's hypothesize for a moment that something you are doing what could it be?. For instance some people get acne from HyCbl, depending perhaps on other things. Folic acid can cause acne in some via paradoxical folate deficiency. Too much B1, B2 and/or B3 can increase paradoxical folate deficiency and cause acne. So if you get acne when you take these things, and it is repeatable, than it could possibly be paradoxical folate deficiency. There would usually be several other changes too, often IBS increasing, other symptoms on the paradoxical folate deficiency list.

peggy-sue

I get acne because I can't shower or wash as often as I used to - so my pillowcase gets manky.

Changing just my pillowcase more often helps a lot.

It might just be something simple like that?
Forgive me if my comment is inappropriate.:)

Freddd

I get acne because I can't shower or wash as often as I used to - so my pillowcase gets manky.

Changing just my pillowcase more often helps a lot.

It might just be something simple like that?

Forgive me if my comment is inappropriate.:)

Hi Peggy-sue,

It's relevant. There was an article a few weeks ago one of the news services that the average unmarried male changes his sheets only once every 3 months, so who knows.

Another factor that you reminded me of are fabric softeners on the pillowcase made me break out. Sometimes it can be that simple.

Seven7

Seven
I am strugling with the same. I break specially with B12 :(
Now by miracle I came across oregano oil, and I noticed it cleard me but I am not sure how often can one take it, I only did for 2 weeks I am gettign ready to take it for another 2 weeks just to clear my acne.

Freddd

Hi,

\

Folic acid can cause paradoxical folate deficiency, B1, B2 and B3 can each and together cause it to be much worse. I had to take 20mg a day of Metafolin to overcome the problem. Now 4mg does the trick, better. Also, HyCbl or broken down MeCbl or broken down AdoCbl (both now to a sufficient extent has broken down to HyCbl).