• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Acidosis?

Hopeful1976

Can someone tell me the symptoms of acidosis. Last year I stopped taking a liquid probiotic called symprove. Initially I felt terrible on it, but then some m.e symptoms improved, namely energy levels, nausea and muscle weakness. However, after 7 months, I started to feel quite odd. I developed intense morning sweats, an intense breathlessness/anxiety type feeling in my chest in the night (not emotionally related at all). Then neurological symptoms started. Like a depersonalisation feeling and mood is very down - this isn't like me at all. I've never had depression or any other mental health issue. I have never had this before. Also, the nausea came back, and that horrible sour feeling in my mouth. Even tho I stopped the symprove this time last year, I cannot seem to improve much. I try other probiotics but they appear to exacerbate; without them, the fatigue worsens. I know I'm worse if I eat oats ect and I have evidence of hydrogen sulfide, it's so horrible. Can this be acidosis? I'm in the UK and I need help but I don't know where to turn as my gp doesn't belive in gut/microbiome problems. I'm terrified of making myself worse with other suppliments. Can anyone help? The neuro symptoms are horrid.

I thought I had acidosis also . I also did high dose probiotics . I got more energy overall felt better cfs wise but then the “ crazy “ symptoms started. I would scream and bang my head in the kitchen counters. I was aware at the time that this was crazy. Blood test found nothing in my case. I am 53 now was 51 at the time. I had no history of mental problems. In between I felt upbeat and normal.

Called my cfs Dr Podell ( at the time) . He told me to take 1 -2 teaspoonfuls of baking soda in 8 ounces of water. If I drank this the neuro crazy symptoms would go away in 10 minutes. Or I used Alka Seltzer Gold. I also used lemon juice. I also attributed this to some kind of lactic acid buildup in my brain since the baking soda was so effective. I tried clonazepam and this had absolutely no effect at all. I always thought this might be due to overdoing it but it turned out to be environmental .

Not sure how relevant the following is to your post but this is how I ultimately solved my “ crazy” episodes.

I feel for you these episodes were horrible. This helped for awhile. I noticed my Neurol problems got much worse in winter. My oldest son suffered from add / depression and rage attacks .He is doing much better and all his psyche symptoms are completely gone after moving and leaving out possession behind. . His psychiatrist released him and he is now a straight A student ( after flunking for 5 years) .

I wound up doing a “ mold sabbatical. ( Paradigm Change cfs) . Well it is now 2 years later ( we sold our home and left previous possessions behind) and I don’t get these episodes anymore UNLESS I sleep inside for too long.
I sleep outside on a sleeping porch . I use an electronic blanket and it is not bad at all and it was below 20 degrees last night.