1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Brain Cells Making us Sick? The microglia connection in ME/CFS & Fibromyalgia
Simon McGrath looks at theories that microglia, the brain's immune cells, could trigger and perpetuate the symptoms of ME/CFS and fibromyalgia.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Acidic vits - protect your teeth - here's how

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by Sasha, Jul 30, 2011.

1. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Dannybex started a thread on how Jarrow's methylB12 contains citric acid, which attacks the teeth. So does ascorbic acid (vitamin C).

I asked a dentist friend how we should therefore protect our teeth. She gave these suggestions:

• Don't brush your teeth straight after acidic things.
    • Brush your teeth before eating acidic vitamins using a high-fluoride toothpaste such as Duraphat 2800 or 5000 (prescription only from your dentist in the UK at least). Sensodyne claim that their Pronamel toothpaste is also protective.
    • Or, use a high-fluoride mouthwash before the acidic vits.
    • Tooth mousse, which you can get from your dentist, contains recaldent which is full of minerals and restores your tooth enamel - rub it onto your teeth with your finger straight after the acidic vits.
    • Rather than chewing Vitamin C tablets, use soluble Vitamin C and drink it through a straw.
    • Eat a piece of cheese after the acidic vits.

:D:D:D:D:D
  2. garcia

garcia Aristocrat Extraordinaire

London, UK
    Flouride is poison. I would seriously avoid this.

See here for example:

[video=youtube;Q3y8uwtxrHo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3y8uwtxrHo[/video]
  3. Sallysblooms

Sallysblooms P.O.T.S. now SO MUCH BETTER!

Southern USA
    Yes, all good ideas, Sasha. I do not take vitamins like that, chewable.. But I do drink water with lime or lemon in it. I use a straw and do not brush right after. Sensodyne is very good. I like toothpaste without the sulfates also. Enamel is so important to keep strong!
  4. Adster

Adster Senior Member

Australia
    Also, you can swish with bicarb in water to neutralise the acids.
  5. hixxy

hixxy Woof woof

Russell Island, Australia
    Fluoride is only poisonous in excess.
  6. taniaaust1

taniaaust1 Senior Member

Sth Australia
    When one has MCS one can be unusually sensitive to fluoride. It is toxic.

It isnt just the teeth one should think about with acidic vitamins but also the stomach too as these can end up giving on tummy issues. It is recommended to eat a Tblespoon of yogurt (if you dont have milk issues) before taking acidic vitamins, that helps protect the stomach.
  7. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Thanks, tania - I have been getting a bit of an acid tummy lately with some of the stuff I have been taking. I don't know if there would be an issue with the calcium in the yoghurt affecting absorption of some things (I can't remember what calcium is supposed to interfere with) but maybe a tbsp is such a small amount it wouldn't matter.

See more popular forum discussions.