• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Acid reflux drug linked to more than doubled risk of stomach cancer – study

Ecoclimber

Acid reflux drug linked to more than doubled risk of stomach cancer – study

There are more than 50m prescriptions for proton pump inhibitors in the UK, though they have previously been linked to side-effects and increased risk of death

A drug commonly used to treat acid reflux is linked to a more than doubled risk of developing stomach cancer, researchers have claimed.

Proton pump inhibitors (PPIs) reduce the amount of acid made by the stomach and are used to treat acid reflux and stomach ulcers.

A study published in the journal Gut identified an association between long-term use of the drug and a 2.4 times higher risk of developing stomach cancer. In the UK, there are more than 50m prescriptions for PPIs every year but they have been linked to side-effects and an increased risk of death.

A link between PPIs and a higher stomach cancer risk has previously been identified by academics – but never in a study that first eliminates a bacteria suspected of fuelling the illness’s development.

Research by the University of Hong Kong and University College London found that after the Helicobacter pylori was removed, the risk of developing the disease still rose in line with the dose and duration of PPI treatment.
They compared the use of PPI against another drug which limits acid production known as H2 blockers in 63,397 adults. The participants selected had been treated with triple therapy, which combines PPI and antibiotics to kill off the H pylori bacteria over a week, between 2003 and 2012....

H2 blocker:
  • Famotidine (Pepcid AC, Pepcid Oral)
  • Cimetidine (Tagamet, Tagamet HB)
  • Ranitidine (Zantac, Zantac 75, Zantac Efferdose, Zantac injection, and Zantac Syrup)
  • Nizatidine Capsules (Axid AR, Axid Capsules, Nizatidine Capsules)

Diwi9

Administrator
@Ecoclimber - Thank you for posting this. I have a friend who has been on PPI's for a long time and shared the article with them.

Stretched

How about Protonix, which is a PPI but different chemistry than the others? It’s used by heart disease people who are taking otherwise conflicting medications, eg me.

Is it the drug or acid reflux which the study says is the cause?

Last edited:

sb4

If GERD is caused by low acidity yet the doc assumes its due to high acidity, then you are decreasing low levels even further. Stomach is in the wrong environment = cancer.

mermaid

I used to have really bad GERD, but got rid of it with digestive enzymes, probiotics, and D-Limone. The D-Limone is what helped me the most. It helps repair the lining of the esophagus.
That is interesting. I will give this a try - I seem to have tried everything else! I think most of my problems are down to a small hiatus hernia, but if I keep to a restricted diet then it does improve (being weak willed I cannot always manage that!)

Ecoclimber

GERD is usually caused by by the poor closure of the lower esophageal sphincter (the junction between the stomach and the esophagus) which causes acid to flow in the lower esophagus. The failure sphincter muscle to close properly allows the flow of the acid reflux into esophagus which can cause esophageal cancer. Barrett's esophagus may be caused by GERD. Over time, stomach acid in the esophagus can cause changes in the cells that increase risk for adenocarcinoma. Sometimes burning or pain can be mistaken for cardiac issues as you can see in the image. These condition increases in an older populations age range 55+

serveimage

PPI
omeprazole (Prilosec, Prilosec OTC)
aspirin and omeprazole (Yosprala)
lansoprazole (Prevacid, Prevacid IV, Prevacid 24-Hour)
dexlansoprazole (Dexilent, Dexilent Solutab)
rabeprazole (Aciphex, Aciphex Sprinkle)
pantoprazole (Protonix)
esomeprazole (Nexium, Nexium IV, Nexium 24 HR)
esomeprazole magnesium/naproxen (Vimovo)
omeprazole/sodium bicarbonate (Zegerid, Zegerid OTC)

Daily use of PPIs was associated with a risk of developing the illness that was more than four times higher (4.55) than those who used it weekly. Similarly, when the drug was used for more than a year, the risk of developing stomach cancer rose five-fold, and as high as eight-fold after three or more years, the findings showed.

There are anecdotal reports on here that PwME have benefited by taken Ranitidine ( Zantac) that helped their ME/CFS symptoms

Last edited:

Stretched

GERD is usually caused by
There are anecdotal reports on here that PwME have benefited by taken Ranitidine ( Zantac) that helped their ME/CFS symptoms

Thanks for info, but caution: my cardio put me on Protonix vs other ‘-secs’ which is a PPI but different chemistry than the others? It’s used by heart disease people who are taking otherwise conflicting medications. I have CAD and 2 stents in heart.

anni66

mum to ME daughter
GERD is usually caused by by the poor closure of the lower esophageal sphincter (the junction between the stomach and the esophagus) which causes acid to flow in the lower esophagus. The failure sphincter muscle to close properly allows the flow of the acid reflux into esophagus which can cause esophageal cancer. Barrett's esophagus may be caused by GERD. Over time, stomach acid in the esophagus can cause changes in the cells that increase risk for adenocarcinoma. Sometimes burning or pain can be mistaken for cardiac issues as you can see in the image. These condition increases in an older populations age range 55+

serveimage

PPI
omeprazole (Prilosec, Prilosec OTC)
aspirin and omeprazole (Yosprala)
lansoprazole (Prevacid, Prevacid IV, Prevacid 24-Hour)
dexlansoprazole (Dexilent, Dexilent Solutab)
rabeprazole (Aciphex, Aciphex Sprinkle)
pantoprazole (Protonix)
esomeprazole (Nexium, Nexium IV, Nexium 24 HR)
esomeprazole magnesium/naproxen (Vimovo)
omeprazole/sodium bicarbonate (Zegerid, Zegerid OTC)

Daily use of PPIs was associated with a risk of developing the illness that was more than four times higher (4.55) than those who used it weekly. Similarly, when the drug was used for more than a year, the risk of developing stomach cancer rose five-fold, and as high as eight-fold after three or more years, the findings showed.

I'm assuming that the sphincter valve is PH regulated. The "top" gut is supposed to be a highly acidic environment to enable minerals and proteins to be processed.The lower gut is the fermenting one. When the acidity is wrong (ie not enough) the valve will open to adjust - so this is contraindicative? Acid reflux is due to not enough acid - probably due to gut dysbiosis?

alex3619

The average risk that a person will develop stomach cancer in their lifetime is about 1 in 111.
https://www.cancer.org/cancer/stomach-cancer/about/key-statistics.html

If this data and the study are right, the risk goes from under one percent to nearly five percent for long term PPI use. That is major in my opinion. The mitigating factor is that this is going to be more prevalent in older patients. Its still not fun for those older patients.